How to record modulation by 'replace' maintaining notes.

Hello.
I’m new to Cubase and just started to use it recently.
I have a basic question but couldn’t find any relative post so just tried to post here.

I wonder how to record MIDI modulation(or pitch or sustain, etc) by ‘replace’ maintaining other previous records such as notes.

example)
I recorded notes and modulation but needed to modify only modulation.
If I try to record again, new modulation record is overlapped instead of replacing old one.
If I try to record with “replace” setting in the transport bar, new modulation is record and old one is deleted but also other old records(notes) are deleted too.

So I’m wondering how to record only modulation by replace without deleting other old records(notes, etc).
Please give me some help :slight_smile:

JunL

One way as follows

open the file in Key Editor CTRL + E

in the automation section at the bottom, the controller lane, open the controller you want to modify

Now you can draw the modulation with pencil tool OR
Remove all the modulation with the eraser and re record directly here OR
Alter just bits to suit - it’s quite flexible

OR you can edit in place (its the symbol next to the e ) open the controller lanes and then carry on as above.

I believe there is a way to get the new overwriting the old using “Global Automation Lode” but I don’t use this very often and can’t remember off hand how to do this.

D

Thanks for the reply.
I tried to configue global automation setup and CC automation setup but couldn’t solve the problem.
Recording at automation track seems better but recording at MIDI controller pane is useful to view both note and modulation. So I’m just learning more with manual to find something better methods.

Select the MIDI record mode to “Merge”. Then record your modulation over the old modulation. Don’t play any new notes. Since you can only have one modulation value at a given time, it has to overwrite the modulation. When it was overlapping, you were probably selecting “New Parts” for the record mode. I am using C6.5 but I am sure it has to be at least very similar in 7.
HTH
J.L.

Select the MIDI record mode to “Merge”. Then record your modulation over the old modulation. Don’t play any new notes. Since you can only have one modulation value at a given time, it has to overwrite the modulation.

This doesn’t seem to work for me, although it records new modulations or CC changes it only records the changes and doesn’t erase the old changes.

If say I had a value of 100 at bar 5, and then recorded a value of 110 at bar 3, when we reach bar 5, the earlier 100 value is still used, so it takes preference. It’s all right whilst you are changing modulation, but not if you stop, interim values can remain.

Hmmmm… I guess you just have to select and delete the modulation you want to replace first, then “overdub” the new modulation (in Merge mode). Strange that when you stop moving the MOD wheel, it jumps back to the old value. I could have sworn I overwrote MOD wheel data this way in the past. Maybe it was an older version or maybe I am remembering wrong.
J.L.

Select Part
Menu: MIdi->Function->Delete Continous Data (or similar I have the german equivalent)
Then record again
You could put it on a shortcut. If you want to delete only modulation-data (and leave say “aftertouch” intact you can make your own logical preset

That is very odd… because that way you will delete all modulation-data inside a clip and, sometimes, you may just want to overywrite a small part…

Even if you set “Controller” in Preferences>MIDI>Replace Recording in Editors it does not behave as expected.