How to Record Playback Video of The Score

Jazz musician here, and I 100% completely agree with the above.

1 Like

What modern engraving styles exactly? Can you explain? Dorico is not particularly well suited to scores such as New Complexity School that I engrave, for example. And still cannot do cutaway scores, or aleatoric boxes for example. [But of course supreme for Common Era period music.]

Is there a way to create a scrolling video of the score with Dorico ?

This was discussed only a couple of days ago.

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/how-to-record-playback-video-of-the-score/852012/22

1 Like

So, the answer is no… Feature request :wink:

If you’re on a PC, you can use the xBox Game Bar to record screen video and audio

1 Like

Hey @Axel you can download OBS Studio. It’s a free software and does the job perfectly. I’d suggest watching some tutorials on YT for setting the video recording settings. As for the scrolling part there might be an answer to that specific format in this process. But then again I’m not sure if it is what you’re looking for. Probably a YT video for reference.

Capture 4K video when possible because even 1080P is not very good looking or readable for scores.

1 Like

As mentioned, you can use free built-in tools in Windows to accomplish this in a relatively easy manner. Get your score in Dorico ready in page mode. I use the Write tab and hide all zones, but if you have a good engraving, you can use that mode, and if you’re really fancy, you can make a custom layout, but I opened this stating this is a relatively easy way to do it. Play with the zoom (use the mouse, it has more detailed control) to get the entire score from top to bottom nicely within view. Bring up the XBox Game bar (Windows Key + G). If you’re given a choice, use the highest resolution possible for the video. Start the recording (Windows Key + Alt + R). Be sure to have your mouse up in the corner somewhere. Immediately click on Dorico in the background and press “P” to play. When it’s done, clock on the stop button and save the .MP4 file. Create a high resolution audio file by selecting Export, Audio in Dorico. Select .WAV file and the highest bits and sample rate available. For both the video and audio, I would recommend doing one flow at a time if you have multiple.

Now launch Clipchamp. This is a free (for basic functions) application in Windows. You can add some nice introduction screens with text, then add in the .MP4 file, but be sure to disable the audio for it (in the right hand menu). Then add in the .WAV file. Now the tricky bit is to line up the video and audio, but that can be done anywhere in the score. I’ve found video and audio created this way end up the exact same speed, so as long as you sync it up somewhere it’ll be good all the way through. Then export it, again in as high a resolution as possible (1040p is the highest for the free app and is suitable). Now create a video in YouTube from the exported Clipchamp file and that’s it. Here is a sample:

https://[youtu.be]/o3A1OtG4l1o (remove “[” and “]” in the link edited because I can’t post a link)

In case you were wondering why:

And welcome to the forum, @Charles_Graeme_Black .

1 Like

Thank you Derrek. I figured it was something like that. I shall endeavor to be a trust worthy member.

1 Like

Now that I am trust worthy, here is the link! :slight_smile:

Here is a score playback video of the montage from Oppenheimer, with one system per page:

One thing about this is driving me crazy. Every time the playback cursor jumps to a new page, the left side of the page is cut off so you only see the last three characters of the instrument name - “n. 2” instead of “Vn. 2” for example. For “Brass” this looks bad.

I’ve tried changing page margins, page size, etc., but nothing I do can fix this. If anyone has ideas on how to improve the page turns, I’d be very grateful.

Oppenheimer-sequence-youtube.dorico (1.8 MB)

The undesireable scrolling is due to the window size of the Dorico window, less to do with page size of the Layout. Your screencap window is also too narrow for 16:9 youtube video; make it exactly 1920x1080. Modify the Dorico Preferences for background color, if you would like the border to be black.

It may take a little bit of experimentation to get the width of the Dorico window just right so that the scrolling jump is proper and it fits within the screencap boundary. A couple minutes of fiddling.

1 Like

Thanks superblonde - your advice is spot on! Here is a better version of the video if folks are interested. The only difference is that I made the background color white.

1 Like