How to record seperate audio tracks at different times

First time user,
I am attempting to record seperate audio tracks at different times in Cubase5Al and every time I try to do this it appears that I lose the original audio track. I have created a seperate track and un-selected the original audio track. I can’t seem to find anything in the documentation, the Knowledge Base, or the forum. What am I missing or is this a limitation of Cubase Al5?
TIA,
Lynn

A screenshot may be the most helpful but, when you say you UNSELECTED the original audio track, what exactly do you mean? Did you turn off the RECORD ARM (red circular button)? Is the audio recording on the new track, both, or just the old track? Make sure the input is correct for the new audio track and the new track is armed for recording.
That is about all I can suggest based on the limited information provided.
HTH
J.L.

I turned off the RECORD ARM on the previously recorded track. Then setup a new different track on the same I/O (second guitar track). I turned on the RECORD ARM on the newly setup track only. Set from the “0” time mark, I record the new track. The new track sounds and is recorded properly. The first previously recorded track is blanked out although it is NOT enabled the red RECORD ARM button. At 1024 x 768 resolution there isn’t enough seperation on the screen to tell exactly what is happening with the seperated tracks. I used the “Clean guitar and vocal” template to begin the project with… there doesn’t appear to be a recording template that really fits the one-man seperate track style I am attempting to use available. I’ve tried both monitoring & not monitoring the first track with the same end result.

The Steinberg ASIO drivers bombed my sound card drivers. In order to make this Cubase work, I am using the ASIO4ALL driver for both input & output, then I am additionally using the SoundMAX output driver so there is output I can actually hear from the laptop. I’m running WinXP SP3 with 2Gb ram & a 2Ghz Centrino processor (32 bit).

Assuming there is additional audio track capabilities than Cakewalk from 2001 had, I’m starting to come to the conclusion that it has always been (and still is) just dump some demo tracks on a cassette 4-track’er, then bounce them into Audacity & build/replace additional tracks from there. In any case, I’m assuming there are people that have done demo/pre-production work in this style. Maybe some form of Template and/or documentation broaching the method would be helpful to beginning users.

Lynn: Watch this older Cubase 4 video on recording Audio with Cubase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JuPNSBO_oo&list=RDMhAg6BGDkvM :wink:

Jack :slight_smile:

PS: Just curious—Your “Audio Interface” is your Soundcard in your
laptop – or are you using an external INTERFACE with Cubase Ai5 ?: :question:

PPS: IMO most people don’t use an Analog cassette 4-track
then Bounce to Cubase when recording except for maybe that analog Tape saturation sound,
Which I do use some times with the Built in Tape Saturation found in Cubase 7
and I also use the Waves J-37 4-track plugin also for an Analog sound.

Hope this helps
:smiley:

The interface I’m using is a Steinberg CI-2 USB interface. I’m not trying to bounce from the 4-track, I’m trying to get away from using it after 25 years. I’ve got to get a basic demo done in the next couple of weeks and it’s pretty easy to plug in, arm which tracks you want to record on, & hit the record button; which is starting to look a lot easier than doing the same thing with Cubase. Thanks for the link, I appreciate it & will watch it. I’m guessing that I’m missing something relatively simple here.

I finally got it. I was doing right all along… There has been issues getting any ASIO driver to work period with the sound card in the ThinkPad T61p. The “secret” appears to be not allowing any ASIO driver to control any part of the sound card (AD1984HD chipset), turn off microphone “filtering” & turn the mic level down, and finally use the ASIO4ALL driver with an Asio Buffer=384, Latency Comp=0, & Sample Rate=44-48k). In Cubase, use the ASIO4ALL driver, use the Steinberg CI-2 driver for inputs, & use the soundcard’s SoundMax driver for outputs.
Thanks for all the help and advice!
Lesson learned, even “good” computers can cause lots of issues due to a crappy soundcard/driver!

Lynn: Glad you got it worked out :wink:

Jack :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: