How to reduce “cue” staves above a piano part?

The online web help system at one point shows a piano grand staff, and above it is another staff showing the melody played by another instrument, reduced to 75% size. I added the “cue” staff to the piano part as another instrument. When I tried to reduce the “cue” staff to 75% size, it reduced it just fine in gallery view, but in the piano part, it also reduced the piano staves to 75%, which obviously is not what I wanted. Help points out that staff reduction applies to all in a player.

I figured out how to accomplish a similar result by creating an ossia above the piano part, which automatically reduces the size, but the help system seems to imply that there is another way to do it. What am I missing? Thanks for the help.

Have you found this page in the menial before?

NB You can only change the size of a single staff at a time.

For what it’s worth, and I don’t really do this, but I’d be using an ossia stave.

Every time I see auto-correct do something like this, I think, “And they want AI to compose music?” :grimacing:

Hahaha!! I’m not changing it.

Funny thing is that it autocorrected “ossia” to “Osaka”. That one might have caused a bit of a racquet!

are you really writing an extra staff for a very short bit? (an ossia staff would work well)
or are you wanting to write a chamber work, for example a violin sonata, where the piano is full-sized, but the violin appears as a smaller staff size?

these two things would use different approaches.

Yes, the section of the manual quoted above is what I was originally referring to. It doesn’t help me, because I want the reduced “cue” staff showing what the other instruments are playing to appear in the piano part, above the piano grand staff. I first created a player called “Cue,” resized it in gallery view and tried to combine it with the piano part by treating it as a separate instrument within the piano part. That did not work in the piano part, because as soon as I resized the cue staff, it also reduced the piano staves. That’s not what I want.

What I am doing is a 3-horn jazz arrangement that has written-out solos. When I first did the piano part, most of it was just slash marks with chords, and due to the nature of the piece the solos went on for quite a while, making it difficult to follow in performance. I wanted the ability to see the solos while accompanying them. If I create an ossia in the piano part (on measures other than the piano solos), I can copy the portions of the horn solos and paste them as needed into the ossia, which then achieves the result I am looking for, showing the piano part with the solos right above it. It just seemed to me from the description in the manual that there must be another way of doing it. Maybe there isn’t? Adding a third staff to the piano part still presents the same problem. Michael_Edward’s comment above (piano full-sized, with violin appearing as a smaller staff size) is exactly what I was looking for. That would work if I was printing a score with only piano and violin, but it doesn’t seem to work within the piano part layout.

The link I posted (and that you read) literally says this is what you do in it’s description above, along with the steps to execute once opening the link. Or am I missing something?

I have read the link " Changing the size of staves for individual players." That was the one I was originally referring to. My question is how do you get the reduced staff with the other player to appear in the piano layout, when reducing the solo staff also reduces that piano staff. The link also states “Changing the size of individual staves affects all staves belonging to the same player and for the whole flow.” If the solo staff and the piano staves are in the same piano layout, changing one also changes the other. Am I missing something?

If you want piano and the “cue” stave (this should be a separate Player and not just a separate Instrument in the piano Player), you just need to make sure that both players - the “cue” player and the piano player - are ticked in the same Layout in Setup mode. You can check this by selecting the relevant Layout in the Right Panel. If the two players are highlighted in the Left Panel then they are included in the same Layout.

Then, if you follow the steps in the link exactly, you can make your “cue” player’s stave smaller.

If you only want the “cue” player’s stave to appear in certain systems of the Layout, you need to manual hide the staves.

I hope this helps!

PS
You could even enter the solo lines using Cues (Shift-U). This way, if you make any changes to the music in the cue’d player, it will change automatically. You can adjust the size of the notes in the cue by selecting them in Engrave mode and changing the scale to Normal.

Thank you! That was the trick–I didn’t realize you could add more than one player to a layout. I knew there had to be a way. It’s a good day when you learn something new!

1 Like