I would have preferred posting this into the collected issues area. As it is now locked, I’ve posted here.
When using a test project I had Cubase 7 and then 6.5 both freeze up on my MacMini 2011 server. I was using the built in audio when the lockup first happened but I use a RME FF800 most of the time.
When I got 6.5 to open I was barely able to get into device setup. When I did, I found that somehow my device latency settings for the built in audio were changed to the lowest possible setting. The same was true when I changed to the FF800. I was doing a mix project with a very high track count and had the latency set to 256 originally, and all was working fine at that buffer.
It seems that some bug had changed these settings for both the built in and the FF800. Once my preferred buffer setting were restored, everything seems to be fine with launching and working in both 7 and 6.5.
If you encounter a similar issue, this is the first thing I would look at.
Happy Holidays everyone,
MacMini Server 2011, OSX 10.8.2, 16gig RAM, 2 x 500 gig 7200 rpm Hard Drives, Fireface 800