How to send cc# to kontakt but not record while I recording?

I like to send cc# to kontak while I recording.
But I don’t want record this cc# in cubase.
Is it possible?

There might be other ways, but the first thing that comes to my mind is to divert the CC you want to isolate off to a track of his own.

You could use two tracks with Transformers. For me it’s pretty common to use empty MIDI tracks purely to ‘reroute’ things. I like to keep some virtual MIDI ports (not needed for your given task) installed on my system, so it’s possible to use empty MIDI tracks to do all sorts of routing/transforming/filtering/echoing and more.

The first track could be either type (Instrument or MIDI). The second should be a MIDI track.

Have both tracks set to get input from your MIDI controller, and the output to be your Kontakt instance.

First Track that is recording, add a Transformer insert to filter out the desired CC.

Example: Delete all incoming CC1 events…

Enable MIDI monitor on the second track (allows whatever comes in to pass through to the track’s end point), but not record. Add a Transformer to delete all events BUT the CC you want to pass.

Example: Delete all incoming events but CC1.

This setup allows CC1 to pass through the second track, which isn’t recording; meanwhile, That first track records anything coming in BUT CC1 events.

It might help a bit to group the tracks in a Folder so you can easily keep them together.

Note, if you wanted, instead of ‘monitoring’ the CC track, you could elect to record into it too, and have the results handy to mute/unmute as desired.

Duplicate the CC track several times and record multiple takes for just your controller (each take on a fresh track, mute all takes but the one you want active).

From there your CC data is on an isolated track that you can play from there (unmute it), or copy/paste the CC data anywhere you like. Mix and match the best parts of several takes using cut/copy/paste. You could even opt to convert it to an automation lane, or into note expression events if that’s your preferred workflow.

This seems to be the only way to process midi at the cost of several tracks. It would be so nice of we had a midi routing manager which does not consumme tracks !!!

Tracks don’t really cost anything though (OK, With Cubase Pro…might be a problem with smaller versions?). It’s similar logic and resources where-ever it’s kept/displayed. Be it in some arcane dialogue, a part, a player, whatever. It can actually be a big VISUAL HELP to have it all laid out in front of you as tracks instead of ‘hidden off in some other world’. Colors and naming conventions are helpful.

If empty routing tracks are taking too much screen real estate group them out of the way in a folder and hide it until needed again.

It’s not uncommon for me to have a folder dedicated to mostly empty MIDI routing tracks. I can swap entire routing scenarios simply by muting/unmuting tracks (or even entire folders full of tracks).

Adding some Virtual ports opens up whole new worlds…(send output of a track back into a different track with transformers/modifers/etc at different stages. Can even loop a MIDI track back into a ‘MIDI remote’ to get at Cubase macros and other commands that don’t have dedicated track types.

Examples:
Use MIDI LFO to pump the control of a VST.
Stop the transport.
Launch a Macro.
Automatically call up the UI of a given plugin using a CC event.
Toggle montior/record on tracks in real time.

Loads of other things that don’t have dedicated track types in Cubase…

Just delete once recorded might be simpler.

I agree, I am already using an IConnectivity MIOXL on my studio and it is very helpful to route midi, but I actually keep it detached from the Cubase PC, because doing so it contains a ‘no PC’ configuration.
Somehow I would appreciate that Cubase offers the same central point, some dedicated Window, for midi routing/mapping/filtering. With a graphic wiew where we can simply trace lines between input and output targets and attribute transformation to each connection.
Using tracks is the actual only way to go but clearly it is a diversion/perversion of the track object.

I understand.

While it wouldn’t fix the scenario above without an extra Cubase track…

You might like a utility such as Bidule or Bome.

I actually keep a stand alone instance of Bidule for a number of reasons.

1. Some of my kit has lame USB MIDI drivers that don’t play nice with multiple clients. So I have Bidule grab them first, and then divert their signals to multi-client happy virtual ports.

2. It provides OSC servers/clients. So I can get stuff into Cubase over the network. I.E. Junk running on an android or iPad…wireless OSC into Bidule, which can convert stuff over to MIDI for Cubase.

3. Real time transformation of MIDI before it ever goes into Cubase (via virtual ports).

Bidule gets way deeper when run as a plugin! MIDI Swiss army knife. Mix and merge multiple plugins into one ‘super plugin’. Real time transformation of both MIDI and audio. Hosts/chains plugins (VST, AU, CLAP, and more). It can convert VST>MIDI from the DAW, and vice verse.

1 Like

True, you could build a quick MIDI Logic Editor that’d seek and destroy all the targeted CC events. Could also bind it to a macro and key-command.