How to set up the Control Room Mixer for Cubase 6

This sounds all great, but…

(BTW - great thread; thanks Sheldy13…!)

1. I still can’t quite get my head around it all; is this all for ‘tracking/mixing’ stage only…? I’ve seen no-one mention (in the manual or the SB YouTube channel vids) about OVERDUBBING…!
  2. When in o/dub mode, how does CR relate to use of the ‘monitor’ button on the channels - i.e. do I still need it for input monitoring…? What output should it (the global Audition channel) be set to on my soundcard…? Is it not even affected…? leave it as is (same as main outs)? I have a Delta 44, so only 4 outs total.
  3. maybe this is too obvious, but, I need pairs of outputs on my interface for the number of ‘Studio sends’ I want to set up…? (plus one more pair for the main outs…)?
  4. Do I really need to keep going back and forth disabling the CR as in point 3 of Sheldy13’s recipe, in order to work in the main mixer…?
  5. I don’t understand his point 6; he says, the newly created Studio1 send output should be set to the previously used ‘Output tab’ setting - which would be my main out (1L+2R). How does that relate to my question 3 above…?

See…? No wonder lots of folk have probably taken a look and wandered right on by… (or am i being especially dumb…?). The manual, as ever, simply explains the operation of each function - theres little or no illustration of when, how or why you use (configure) the darn thing, for a given situation etc, etc…

(currently, everything goes in and out of a little Behringer mixer; and I use the aux send for monitoring (foldback) to a headphone amp when o/dubbing - the main outs from the Behringer go out to my powered spkrs. Its just me or maximum one other person. Maybe this setup is still the tidiest for now… :confused: )

I’m kind of where you are, Puma0382, almost exactly it sounds like (instead of a Behringer my Delta card is connected to a breakout box which has the headphone outs and sends to my powered speakers). I’m working hard to find a way that CR can help my workflow, above and beyond the mono button … on the trail of the Listen Bus as recommended above, maybe that would be good for you too? I didn’t find anything on youtube about the Listen Bus before I left for work this morning (I almost always need youtube to help me understand the manual more fully), hopefully I’ll find something later on.

Well for a good setup in a working studio you need lots of ins and outs. Yes every stereo FB send will use 2 outs the talkback mic needs one in, multiple monitor feeds need multiple outs (although using a volume and distribution box you can feed multiple monitors from one out pair) Mixing is the same as it always is only it’s routed through the studio section giving you the benefits, muting, reference levels, listen buss, mono summing. All preview sound can be set to route through the main monitors or headphones. Its no different for overdubbing, you still need to put channels into monitor to hear inputs. You should never need to dissable the control room once set up.

Ah! ok, thanks for more of this Split - getting somewhere now… more reading/practise ahead…!

@alexis - yes, the Listen bus intrigues me; the mono summing I know is going to be useful (I hardly EVER check stuff in mono… and i know I should…! :frowning: ). So it is a question of, can the CR improve/help my workflow…? How…?

Steinberg/someone (GregOndo…!) PLEASE…!! can you do another vid tutorial; Cubase 6 - Control Room real-world examples…!? (so much better than “Operation manuals”)

Hey Puma - Until you decide you want to fire up CR for mono, have you seen this decent workaround? - SX3: Anyone remember the workaround to "No MONO button"? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums ?

I’m glad to see the frustration here. :laughing: And not because I’m mean spirited but because I think the quest of CR use/understanding is like the promise of a balanced budget. Is it possible?

I agree, if I saw first a physical map, a drawing that showed how it was connected, and then saw a video of it in practice I might be convinced. And here I mean I would like to see at least two players being given separate mixes and also watch the monitor as the CR was adjusted for them.

Sometimes I find myself asking ‘why’ does something like this exist? Who is it ideal for? All to help me understand if it is something I need. Since I don’t seem to need it to do what I do, I think it is an interesting piece of fluff. No offense to those who designed it or use it, but clearly I have not had an ‘Aha!’ moment with it.

And actually, my first thought was CR was intended for control of midi playback and recording. See what I mean? Here you would have all these soundless midi keyboard players set up and needing the audio to actually hear what they were playing against. Are we sure this was/is not the real purpose?

Quite simple really, it emulates the Master Output Controls of larger format mixing consoles. It’s main use is in emulating this section and integrates the Virtual Studio concept. It’s ideal for more commercial recording facilities enabling one to actually realise almost all the functionality of the hardware but in software. In reality you can in effect get rid of the physical “Mixing Desk”

If you are a single dude in a room who mainly only records themselves then the realisation of just how useful this is in reference to the above will be diluted somewhat, although there could still be some benefits if the idea of a listen buss for example interests you or setting up a reference level for monitoring or want quick downmixing from 5.1 or whatever to mono or…

Split, it seems you have got this worked out, and not to tax all you time, could you figure out a way to present this in more visual way? Are videos out of the question? I think youtube needs this and you could be the first. :slight_smile:

What I have seen, including the SWR series, the presentation is pitiful. They present it like they have it dialed but fail to show anything descriptive enough to actually help someone else set it up. And actually, now that I think about it, I suggest that SWR’s spin on this is like a drive by shooting. I know there were bullets - I know people were hurt - but I learn nothing else about it. (Lamo, and my bill with them was $30 thank you very much. :blush: )

Wow, OK, that was better than a drive by. Thank you Bredo! :slight_smile: It’s still overwhelming but at least I see some usage.

One quick question from this? As to the talkback mic usage, do I have to burn a channel to use this? Or is there a way it can interface with the talkback mic on my external board?

If you want to incorporate the Talk back function in the Control Room you will need a spare input. But I love the functionality of this when setup. You can set the main mix and or headphone mix to Dim when the talk back button is pressed (which I have mapped to Key 7 on the numeric keypad) its also auto latching so you don’t need to keep your finger on the button all the time. You could also assign a Compressor (just a silly 0 latency one) to the talk back channel if you wish so the whole room can be heard. You can also get Cubase to automatically switch it (talk back) off when in record mode so you don’t forget it’s on.

The only downside with an auto latching talk back button is forgetting it’s on when talking about the performance or performer in a “I didn’t intend for you to hear that comment type of way” :laughing:

Oh you will need a couple of things depending. A microphone (any old one) a preamp (if you don’t have one on your soundcard) and a spare input.