How to Sing, 1902

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19116/19116-h/19116-h.htm

Lilli Lehman was apparently a famous singer a century ago and wrote an illustrated book that is now available on the free Project Gutenberg site. Singers may be interested in this.

Could someone forward the link to Glynn with a Merry Christmas from me?

Done. :slight_smile:

Thank you, and a Merry Christmas to you.

Thank you!

Best Wishes to you and yours for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

Glyn asked me to pass the following:

Ted … Hi!

And thank you for the lovely book.

She’s a woman after my own heart.

I am already through chapter one and am enjoying how she shovels away the top-soil of art to reveal its physical and scientific foundations. I’d love to have heard her sing: for in her writing style she walks the talk of her singing lessons. Her precise cage of words restrains the heart of a tigress. Ah, Lilli.

Yup, you’ve given me much joy. I would like to share the joy of one of my favourite singers of all time … fell in love with her in the '80s, lost contact for many years then a couple of years ago was told she’d gone down with cancer, but, thank goodness, had come back up again. Go to Youtube and search: Beverly Hoch - The Russian Nightingale. Every time I listen to her, it’s the first time.Incidentally, for years, my experience of her had been audio only and when she mentioned youtube and I got to actually SEE her, awwww I CRUMPLED. Y’know those silent movie stars of the early 20th Century? Beverly has the same intense precision … plenty of times her eyes swallowed me whole.

Wow - it’s been great to swim in these thoughts,Ted. Thank you so much for thinking of me, and I hope you and yours have a great Christmas.

And to everybody else: may I also take the opportunity of wishing y’all … my friends on this forum, whom I miss and think of often, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, Happy Holidays!

Take care
Glyn :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas to you too Glyn :slight_smile:

I love stuff like this! Thank you for the link. Merry Christmas to everyone as well.

I am not much of a singer, so perhaps this will help (some would prefer a bullet come my way!) :laughing:

Damn!!! :astonished: :sunglasses: In tune and she’s even squeeze in some low notes!