How To Split A Stero File In Cubase?

Hey guys,

I’m confused about a stereo/mono issue.

I’m trying to split a stereo file into the two separate mono tracks for the left and right channels of audio. When I import an audio file, Cubase asks me if I want to split channels and whether I would like them on one or two tracks.

I tell it to split them to two separate tracks but when I play the individual channels back, sound comes out of both the left and right speakers? When I go to pan the individual channels, panning works on the track with the R channel in the sense that I can put more volume in either the L or R speaker/headphone, but the sound is never completely gone from the L headphone, but seems to be gone from the L speaker? The pan control seems to have no affect on the track with the L channel audio file?

If I’m only listening to the L channel on one track, shouldn’t I only hear any sound coming from my left speaker/headphone? And just the opposite for the R channel?

Why am I hearing sound from either channel track in both speakers/headphones and why does pan control only affect the track with the R channel on it?

It’s not very clear what’s happening.

You want to split a stereo (interleaved) file into a pair of mono files?

If you have the resulting mono files on two mono tracks and pan them respectively hard left and hard right, you should hear the same as replaying the original stereo file.

If you play one of the files, there should be no signal on the opposite output - check the output meters.

If there’s nothing showing on the meter and you’re still hearing something from that output (on headphones or whatever) it isn’t Cubase that’s doing that - probably a setting in your soundcard mixer (if there is one) or crosstalk in the hardware you have connected to the soundcard. Headphones will show this up more than speakers - it’s hard to tell if there’s no sound coming from one speaker if there’s sound coming out of the other.

Good luck

If I’m only listening to the L channel on one track, shouldn’t I only hear any sound coming from my left speaker/headphone? And just the opposite for the R channel?

Depends on your routing.
If both tracks go to Stereo out, you can freely pan them. Pannin hard left and right should sound the same as original stereo file.
If you route the left channel to Stereo out/Left, you should only hear the sound from left speaker. The same goes for the right channel.