How to 'split' three voices over two instruments

I have a trombone part with 3-voice melody and chords. I will spit this in 1st trombone for top notes, 2nd trombone for 2nd and 3rd note. Is this possible with the filter function?
(sorry I really miss the explode function from Finale!)

Yes, you can use Edit > Filter > Notes in Chords > Top Note or Single Notes etc. to select each note in the chord, then copy and paste to another staff.

See the picture. I can’t select the 2nd note first, drop it on Trombone 2 part and select the 3rd note, drop it on the Trombone 2 part and merge it.

Did you enable chord input before pasting the third voice on top of the second voice?
You could also move the whole thing onto the second staff and then move just the trombone 1 part across.

Thank you. Chord input was disabled.

Is there a way to filter the top or bottom note in a chord ONLY when there is more than one note? If I’m copying a staff with, say, a divisi tuba part onto the double bass staff, I want to be able to quickly and easily get rid of the top or bottom note, but not all the bars where there is no divisi.

Right now the only option I see is “top note or single notes”. If I understand it correctly, that leaves me with only the option of selecting the top notes in every bar, regardless of divisi status, and then going back and bar-by-bar deselecting the ones that aren’t divisi.

Maybe in future plans? Or as is so often the case, am I missing something?

Dear Lew,

Couldn’t you use the filtering with voices instead of top or bottom notes ? I think I would write divisi parts in different voices…

Hi, Marc,

2-part divisis (when the rhythms are identical, of course) are arguably easier to read if they share a stem. Certainly wearing my conductor hat,the score is cleaner, less cluttered, and can be printed at a slightly larger point size (ALWAYS important!) And wearing my publisher hat, although this isn’t the paramount cosideration, they take up a LOT less space, which saves paper/money.

The best example is divisis of an octave (typical of concert band tuba parts); stems pointing opposite directions, and usually outside the staff, take up a heck of a lot of room.

As always, IMHO.

I get your points, thank you for these explanations, Lew !