How to stop Cubase from auto-arming record on tracks

Every time I select a track, Cubase automatically arms the “record” option on that track. I really hate this. I select a track for many reasons (I don’t always want to record). As a result, I frequently end up accidentally recording data on tracks I didn’t intend to.

Is there a way to stop Cubase from auto-arming the record option every time I touch a track?

Thank you.

2 Likes

As always with general program settings: in preferences.

1 Like

Could I get a more precise answer on where to find this in the preferences?

1 Like

Found it:

Editing >> Project & Mix Console >>

Enable record on Selected Midi Track
Enable record on Selected Audio Track

2 Likes

See - it´ s that easy. Just one minute of your own time. I would not have been any faster.

That is why we need to have a search in Preferences! I am not sure why this doesn’t get implemented to save our time! Especially now that preferences change and new things get added to it!

2 Likes

THANK YOU THANK YOU - This irritating, rude flaw was so annoying!!! I too, accidentally recorded over tracks because of this ridiculous bug. Thanks, for the solve.

How is this a bug? It’s a preference

1 Like

In Gene’s defense, I’d say in all the many DAWs I’ve used over the last 30 years, Cubase is the first one I’ve experienced that arms any track you select to record by default. I think they should have this “preference” set to “off” by default, and allow users to turn it on if they choose. I accidentally recorded over many tracks for months before I figured out what was going on.

2 Likes

There is a very clear, red indication that a track is armed for recording. If you just click around and select a few tracks it becomes super obvious how it works. I mean really no disrespect but I’m honestly curious how this can evade someone for months.

To me, coming from other DAWs, I found this a great time saver.

Love that feature-- one of my most used key commands is a macro that toggles both Enable record on Selected Midi Track and Enable record on Selected Audio Track, depending on what I’m doing at the moment.

3 Likes

It may not be a bug per se, but if you’re working with MIDI, or particularly if you’re automating AUDIO or MIDI, it is so basic it could actually be on the track itself.

Which Key Commands did you set for these if you don’t mind my asking? (One issue I have with learning new DAWs is that there is a process to see what are the common Key Commands for that DAW, because when you watch tutorials it helps to avoid changing the ecology around at first.)

I created a macro with two commands, and assigned ctrl-alt-shift-R:
(I don’t use many of the defaults, because I have a system-- eg, all commands in the Preferences section use ctrl-alt-shift plus a letter. )

1 Like