How to turn on a MIDI device (USB connection) that was not turned on and have Cubase12 recognize it

How to turn on a MIDI device (USB connection) that was not turned on and have Cubase12 recognize it.
Until now, it was necessary to turn on the MIDI device (USB connection) and start Cubase12 again.
Is there a way to turn on the MIDI device (USB connection) and have Cubase12 recognize it without restarting Cubase12?

Yes. Just turn it on.

You didn’t mention if you have tried it. Or your OS. But Cubase should pick it up, (as long as Windows picks it up).

P.

I have a few usb midi devices and just turning them on works

It used to be like that many versions ago, but not in a long time. As others have said just turning the device on should work. On occasion (just yesterday in fact) Cubase won’t notice a new device. This seems to occur when Cubase is busy doing something. Toggling the device on a second time almost always works. If the device still isn’t found there is a Reset button on the MIDI Port Setup page that should find it.

If this is an ongoing issue I’d be suspicious of how the device is connected - maybe a hub in between is causing problems, try a different USB port on your computer, make sure the device’s MIDI Driver is current, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I did not explain it well enough.
The MIDI device I am dealing with is a CASIO PX-S1000 keyboard.

As others have mentioned, MIDI devices other than the CASIO PX-S1000 are recognized by Cubase 12 just by turning them on.

But the CASIO PX-S1000 was not recognized when I reset it in the studio setup screen.

Image 1 shows that the CASIO PX-S1000 is visible but not recognized if WinRT MIDI is set to On.
Image 2 shows the CASIO PX-S1000 completely invisible when WinRT MIDI is turned off.
In both cases, CASIO PX-S1000 cannot operate Cubase 12.

Try searching the forum for this. There seems to be a variety of threads where this causes issues.

With Cubase 13, my CASIO keyboard is now recognized (even if I turn it on later).
Thank you very much.