how to use C7(.5)+CC121 with RCE ?

here is a link to my original post in CC121 forum, hopefully here i can get some answers

some how im miss all this RCE consept, on how it works and how it should help me controlling with external remote devices !

I don’t think it’s possible.

Rce only works on the expensive controllers

Well, pretty bad…! any good useful not too expensive(around 300$) controller that supports RCE recommendations ?
anyway, the idea of RCE is to map VST parameters automatically to the controller ?
how do i focus the controller to specific plugin ? lets say i have open GUI of retrologue and vintage compressor on screen, the one that is in focus is controlled by the controller ?

It appears the Korg nanokontrol 2 emulates the Mackie Control Universal, and that does control the RCE. It’s like 50 bucks, less used.

Actually you can use the Cubase Mackie Control Remote Device for this purpose with any controller that has endless rotary encoders. (they send one message over and over as you turn the knob instead of the actual value)

I figured it out since I had it working with my BCF2000,which has an MCU mode and I just looked at what it sent to Cubase. I was trying to set it up with my Korg Nanokontrol (version 1), but it doesn’t have endless encoders. Then I bought an expensive keyboard/controller :laughing: Well, $400 -see sig-

Let me know if you want to try that, I might have documented what I did.

Anyhow, the newer version of the korg device might actually work out of the box since it does have MCU mode, and appears to be editable even in that mode. Nord User Forum - View topic - Korg NANOKontrol 2 Review

Steve could you kindly document some of how you managed to get control over selected devices on your behringer?

I have a maschine controller and I can set it to MCU mode in cubase but I can’t figure out how to modify the mcu mapping to allow learning of rce parameters

The standard mcu mode on maschine is near useless for my workflow

The RCE does not learn midi commands, those are fixed. What it learns are parameters to adjust in the plugin you are editing.

I don’t know your device, but in MCU mode do you have a button called “plugins”?

Check out http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm , this guy mapped the whole MCU midi table. You can use it to find the corresponding commands.

thanks steve… i think i will save some $ and buy something better with maybe those little screens near knobs to see what the knob is controlling…
anyway i don’t get how the controller focuses on a certain plugin or function on cubase with RCE !
i have to open the RCE for each plugin or the controller focuses automatically on selected plugin ?!

I’m pretty sure it’s whatever plugin is in focus.

Since you’ll be shopping, I’ll say that I am liking my Nektar P6. It’s a keyboard and control surface in one, Only have had it a week or so, but so far it’s working great for me. It has one limitation regarding hiding tracks (must not do so in Mixer 1 ), which has a workaround. (sync project window with mixer 2 or 3)

My previous keyboard and controller gear was pretty old and worn, so it was easy to justify the expense. I found one used on ebay for 66% of new.

My previous keyboard and controller gear was pretty old and worn, so it was easy to justify the expense. I found one used on ebay for 66% of new.

wish i could get it for those Ebay prices… im from israel, with shipment and custom charges those “hardware” product gonna be much more expensive unfortunately.

I’m pretty sure it’s whatever plugin is in focus.

pretty sure ?u dont use it ? if it controls whatever plugin is in focus its should be great ! :sunglasses:

I used it with the BCF2000 in MCU mode, and I remember that it worked as advertised, but I did not really test it in a robust way.

Yeah we some advantages price-wise here. But then both our infant mortality and obesity rates are 50% higher than yours. Wonder what that means?

But then both our infant mortality and obesity rates are 50% higher than yours. Wonder what that means?

Lost u at that point !! maybe its the freezing conditions now in US that speaks :wink:

Bit of dark humor on a cold winter night.

Thanks Steve, thats very helpful.

When adding the Maschine controller in Cubase as Mackie Controller -device I do have a button that toggles on a “PLUG-IN” mode which allows me to select 1-8 insert slots and add in FX using the available 8 knobs / 8 faders on the Maschine controller. It doesnt let me tweak the FX parameters themselves though. The Mackie Control mode has the aforementioned functions ‘hard wired’ to the parameters on the Maschine controller (select insert slot / select effect). There is an editor for the Maschine midi controller device and I could perhaps go in change the messages it sends to correspond to some other parameters on the MCMap so as to allow the RCE to be used on the device. This is where it gets a little hazy for me.

I’ll have to look at that MCMap a little closer with thought but so far I dont quite understand how the RCE is supposed to interact with the MCMap especially when I’ve set up my controller as Mackie Control -surface in the Midi Device section in Cubase (…doesnt setting it up that way already pre-determine all of the knobs/faders’ functions?).

Thanks a ton for helping out