How to use H4n as mic input to Cubase?

This is maddening! I want to record into Cubase using the H4n as a mic input. I selected the the Zoom H Series ASIO for the ASIO driver. The H4n is plugged into the computer via USB. I’ve added a new track. Record is enabled. No input signal. The H4n shows that it is receiving an input signal however, Cubase is clueless to it. What am I missing? This shouldn’t be this tough!

I downloaded and installed the latest update for Cubase LE6 and am still not able to get the MIC input to Cubase from the Zoom H4n to work? What am I missing? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If I have time tomorrow, I’ll try my H6 they way you are trying, with either C4 or LE7 for you.

I haven’t actually tried it that way yet, but have transferred files from the H6 into Cubase with no problems.

If it works okay, I’ll d/l the H4N manual to compare settings.

The ASIO driver looks the same so the difference in units shouldn’t matter.

You must select the input you want to use on the H4n … “MIC” refers to the built-in microphones, but if you have an external microphone connected to either of the XLRs then you need to select either “IN1&2” (for both XLRs as a stereo pair), “IN1” or “IN2” depending on which one you have the microphone connected to.

I am using the internal 2 MICS of the H4n

What OS? If Windows 7/8 then check in Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Manage Audio Devices and on the Recording tab you should see the H4n as a USB device, with an audio level graph beside it so you can check that the signal is getting into the computer. If there is a signal visible then the most common problem within Cubase is that the input audio bus isn’t set up properly – press F4 in Cubase (this setup is described in the Cubase “Getting Started” manual much better than I could do here).

I am using Windows 7. Yes, I can see the H4n in under Sound | Recording in Control Panel and yes I can see the levels on the device in Control Panel move when I speak into the H4n.

There’s got to be something whack or something I am missing when trying to setup the H4n in Cubase.

The next step then is in Cubase, from the Devices menu select Device Setup, and highlight VST Audio System, make sure you select the Zoom ASIO driver in the drop-down list top right and click OK. Then press F4 to bring up the VST Connections dialog, select the Inputs tab and you should have the default Stereo In input bus. Make sure the H4n inputs are selected in the Device Port column.

Create a new empty project and add an audio track; then, with that track selected, in the Track Inspector select the desired input. Record-arm the track, click the monitor (speaker icon) and you should see the level meter registering a signal. You should then be able to record a signal.

Ok… this is now looking like were getting somewhere…thanks so much. Is there a screenshot of what you just mentioned or some page in the manual that shows this with regards to the H4n?

I’m afraid I no longer have Cubase LE 6 so I can’t provide the exact screenshot, but there should be a “Getting Started” or “Quick Start Guide” PDF somewhere in the documentation folder (try the Start menu, Steinberg Cubase LE 6 / Documentation). There should be a section “Setting up the VST Connections”. Paul might be able to provide a screenshot from his H6 if he gets the time (it’s the same ASIO driver across the entire “H” range so it will look identical from inside Cubase).

this is getting so frustrating!! For a brief moment I got it to work. However, when I did there was no audio output through the headphones connected to the computer. I played around further with it to see why I cannot monitor any monitor, and now even though Control Panel Sound sees the H4n device, I can also selected in in VST Audio System, when I go into VST Connection Dialog even though it shows the Zoom it says it’s not connected and won’t allow me to do so!!

Try rebooting to make sure there are no other audio applications trying to access the device and try again. Once the ASIO driver has been installed, it will be visible in VST Connections even if it is in fact disconnected, so check your USB cable as well.

When using the H4n as your audio device in Cubase, your headphones should be connected to the H4n, not the computer.

I have both the H1 and the H4, and they both work well with Cubase, so it’s worth getting past this initial frustration. Be strong! :wink:

I have Cubase Elements 7 on a Windows 8.1 laptop, and this is what the configuration looks like:

I’ve been too busy today, but you’re doing a great job of helping tdehan, thanks for that :sunglasses:

Yes, the ASIO drivers are the same for all H units, other than mine has 6 inputs.

Seems like a few people have these problems using Zoom products with Cubase, but I think it’s more a lack of not being familiar with using a DAW & Cubase than anything else.

I got the H6 working right away, but probably because I’ve been using Cubase since version 3.1 in the 90’s and am used to using different units over the years.

I’m sure tdehan will get past this and get things working properly.

So I finally got this crazy piece of software to record from the Zoom H4n input (don’t have a clue what I did). I then wanted to hear it play back through the computer speakers. No sound. Rebooted the computer, then there was sound! That’s absolutely nuts if one has to reboot the computer in order to play something back through the computer speakers…

Thought then I was on a roll so I upgraded to Cubase 7. Now…no sound, reboot…no sound. I get this message when I launch a recorded project.

Missing Ports
Speakers (2-Realtek High DE 1) Out - Unmapped
Speakers (2-Realtek High DE 2) Out - Unmapped

PS… how does one upload an image to this forum??

Also, where is the new ELicence. There is nothing in the program files that the website states.

this all should NOT be this tough!

Have you read the “Quickstart Guide”? It’s all detailed there. The key is to understand that Cubase (or ASIO, specifically) needs to be told to use either your builtin soundcard OR your external interface – not both simultaneously. So, if you have selected the H4n as the interface in Device Setup, then you will record AND playback through the H4n until you change it. When you rebooted, the H4n restarted as well and presumably you didn’t select the audio interface function on the H4n, so the computer then did not detect it; the “Realtek …” device is your builtin soundchip, the only audio device Cubase could then see.

In the full editor you’ll see any “Upload attachment” tab beneath the Save/Preview/Submit buttons, or you can use a service like imgur as I did above and paste the “img” tag it generates into the post.

It’s not. The manual for the H4n also explains that you have to decide whether you want it to behave like an audio interface or like a USB drive when you plug in the USB cable.

I don’t have the Zoom attached at this time. And I didn’t before when I was playing back through the computer speakers.

How do I tell Cubase to play through the computer soundcard/speakers?

Seriously ?

I assume you got a manual when you got the unit like I did with the H6.

You can always go to the Zoom website and get it there too…

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/H4n-manual_0.pdf

So…are you referring to the Cubase or Zoom manual?

Ok, so after rebooting again, I can now again hear the recorded mix through the computer speakers. Cubase seems incredibly ‘touchy’!

With that said, I want to Export the mix to a .wav file However, when I try to export I get an error message:
“The export range is empty. Please set the left and right locations”. (see attached screenshot).

What does this mean? The manual under ‘mixing down to audio files’ does not cover this error message or what is required to avoid it.

thanks
Export Range Is Emtpy.JPG