How to use Keyboard Maestro

Hello, many people have recommended Keyboard Maestro to use with Dorico. I´ve downloaded it and I´m trying to understad how it works, but I can´t, so I would thank a bit of help. I´m starting to try to make that if I press the key “^” then Dorico cuts the pedal for piano. Other thing that I´m trying to do is that if I press ctrl+alt+cmd+may+6 when I have selected some notes, it starts with “p” in the first, ends with “f” and between them one cresc (“<”).

Is possible to make this?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards.

Hi MBM,

The short answer to “is it possible to make what I described?” is YES. That much I know for sure.

I used Keyboard Maestro for awhile, learning many things by trial and (lots of) error … then I got sidetracked for awhile, and very recently have put it on my to-do list to dive back in and refresh my memory how it works. Someone else might be able to help you build a macro (I think that’s what they call it?) sooner than I can – but if not, I’ll be able to help you out in about a week or two, after I’ve refreshed my memory about its quirks.

One little suggestion in case you might like it: KB Maestro can respond to MIDI commands. So for instance, if you have an extra MIDI controller (tell Dorico to ignore it if you’re using MIDI for note input), you can set up your actions to be triggered by much easier keypresses than, for example, “ctrl+alt+cmd+m+6” … KB maestro could be doing that key press for you after you hit ONE button on your MIDI controller.

Like I said, hopefully someone else can help you get to your solution quicker than I can, but if not I’ll help you out in a week or so.

Kind regards,
Sam

The main window is split into three panels: Groups - Macros - What the Macro does (from left to right).
Add a folder to the left pane by clicking the plus icon at the bottom of the left pane, and call it Dorico. Then set it to be available in Dorico 2.
Then add a macro to it by clicking the plus icon at the bottom of the middle pane.I’ve called mine Pedal Notch.
Add each action to that macro by clicking the plus icon at the bottom of the right pane, searching the middle pane using the search box at the top. Then just drag and drop from the middle panel to the right panel, and modify the action so that it does what you want.

This is what you want to end up with.

Here’s a macro for a p<f crescendo.

I’m not sure what may is in your shortcut, so I’ve just used ctrl+alt+cmd+6. You can change it to the shortcut you want, or use MIDI as samreed mentioned.

The pause command allows the Dorico popover to open before p<f is inserted.

When I write a new macro, I sometimes find it helps to:

1. Click Record.
  2. Perform the actions in the program (Dorico), such as menu options and keystrokes.
  3. Edit the recorded macro.

This is also a good way to learn some of the macro commands.

The Record button is at the bottom of the Keyboard Maestro window.

\

The recorded macro sometimes contains mouse click x,y coordinates. These may not work again after the Dorico window has been resized or moved.

Just out of curiosity, is the “pause for 0.2 sec” necessary?

I just experimented with a reasonable size score (45 pages) and it seems impossible to type “Dp>f” on the computer keyboard fast enough for it NOT to work (and as a keyboard player, using both hands I reckon I can type all 4 characters in less than 0.2 sec!).

It’s really just a safeguard against the macro failing at arbitrary times, when the machine can’t process the action immediately. It does happen, under heavier strain.

You’re right.
I just tried the macro without the pause command - it worked.
Perhaps on a very slow computer, the popover might not have opened before the macro tries to type text into it.

Thanks Rob.

Better explanation than mine.
Thanks LSalgueiro.

I find KM essential in Dorico (and in Finale and Sibelius before) and it’s quite flexible. The makers of KM were quite helpful for me when I made the switch from QuicKeys. One of the first things I set up for Dorico was a series of macros for dynamics, as I missed Finale’s metatools (holding a key and clicking in the score). This works almost as quickly. If you make them logical (like your good idea for a pedal up command) and easy to remember, I can imagine their being even faster than using a Stream Deck.

Great! Thank you very much to everybody, now I understand how the app works and it rocks, it´s really great! Why haven´t used it yet?!!

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

MBM - Glad you got it working.

I sometimes look back at my old macros in bewilderment - how do they work???
I find that adding comments to a macro helps me remember what all the shortcuts and commands do.

The comments can be coloured for even greater clarity.

Hello again, I´m trying to use KM for enclose text within a box, but I haven´t found how to do it. Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance.