How to use KorgNanoKontrol Studio for Midi controls?

I am trying to set up my new KorgNanoKontrol Studio as a remote controller for MIDI CCs.

With the Korg NanoKontrol in Assignable Mode, I have used the Korg Editor to assign CC numbers to the 24 buttons, 8 knobs and 8 faders.

In Studio Setup/Generic Remote:

I have deleted previous my Generic Remote Setups.

In a new GR Setup, I have assigned both MIDI input and MIDI output to the Korg.

In the lower table, I assigned the transport controls as Transport controls.

How do I assign each button, knob or fader to a CC?

You can either use that device a remote control, or you can use it to send the explicit midi messages you have configured directly to midi tracks.

Since that device can run in Mackie Universal mode, you can save yourself a lot of time by setting it to use that. The instructions are in the nano device’s manual. The Assignable mode is there for DAWs that support neither the Mackie Control Universal protocol, nor the Logic remote control plugin.

Note that in Mackie mode the unit is also just sending/receiving midi messages, contrary to what Korg says about it. It is simply a built-in mapping, but configured beyond anything you could do on your own, and should include the transport and jog and shuttle out of the box.

****Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. So I have the terminology wrong- using the Korg to send CC messages to MIDI tracks is not Remote Control?

I did try the Mackie Remote setup in Cubase straight off, but A) that setup is undecipherable to me ( a lot of note names mostly) and B) the KORG manual does not give any further instruction than to “in Cubase, use the Cubase Mackie Control setup”.

The Korg manual says only:

nanoKONTROL Studio Modes
The nanoKONTROL Studio can operate in the following modes. Select the mode according to your application.
DAW Mixer Control Mode
Setup for using the nanoKONTROL Studio in the DAW Mixer Control Mode
The following are examples of the setup procedures for various DAW software titles. > For details on specifying settings and using the DAW software, refer to the instruction manual for the software.
Cubase

1. While holding down the Scene and Marker Set buttons, turn on the nanoKONTROL Studio to set it to Cubase mode. Once the nanoKONTROL Studio has been set to Cubase mode, it will continue operating in that mode.
  2. In Cubase, open “Device Setup”, and then add “Mackie Con- trol” to “Devices”.
  3. Open the page for the added Mackie Control, and then se- lect the nanoKONTROL Studio ports as the MIDI input and output ports to be used.
  4. Open the “MIDI Port Setup” page, and then clear the “In “All MIDI Inputs”” check box for nanoKONTROL Studio.

After trying to use the Mackie GR, I came to the conclusion that the Korg manual is saying that DAW mode is for Mixer/transport control only.

I used the KORG editor to addign the values to the KORG, and a GR setup to map them. It is working, after I realised I have to have the KORG included in “All MIDI inputs” in MIDI Port Setup.

Using a button for CC93 to disable each VEP channel by selected track, it is working where my pedal setup would not. Now I will try to add the Disable track command to the same button, using “Audio” setting as you showed me in another thread.

NB I have the Kontrol Studio, not the Kontrol. That might be a difference from what you are describing?

Largely speaking, when you send a cc to a midi track to adjust the volume or vibrato in the synth or VST instrument, you are not using remote control.

When you have the device ports configured in the Studio Setup dialog, and use it to adjust graphic elements like a knobs or faders in the Cubase interface, you are using remote control.

-The Mackie Control Remote is not a Generic Remote- it’s not generic because it uses the Mackie Control Universal Protocol, which “hard codes” midi messages to certain functions. When you move its faders and knobs, these messages are sent to the daw, the command is processed, and the daw sends back a message, which is how they stay in sync with each other. The MCU protocol exists so the user does not have to deal with the innards of it, so there is nothing for the user to decipher really. You plug it in, add some tracks, open the mixer and play with the knobs and sliders on your device. You observe what they do in the daw, and then you know. That’s about it.

This works so well, that many manufacturers -Korg, Behrinrger and others- have adopted it for use in their devices.

-You also might want to use the device for performance expression. That is the purpose of Korg’s “Assignable Mode” which other manufacturers might call User Configurable mode, or Manual mode or whatever they want to call it. Here, you set the input of your midi track to that device, and you don’t configure it in Studio Setup. Now the midi messages are directed into the midi track and can be recorded there.

One more thing- some VST plugins permit you to assign CCs to a function. I have Kontakt, in that program, you can right-click on a knob, and move a hardware control, then the VST will remember that assignment. This requires the input of the midi track to be set to that device, and won’t work, of course, when you have the ports configured in Studio Setup.

When you have the device ports configured in the Studio Setup dialog, and use it to adjust graphic elements like a knobs or faders in the Cubase interface, you are using remote control.

This bit I don’t understand, but it may not matter. I don’t think I adjust graphic controls except with the mouse.

I seem to have successfully mapped my KORG to transport actions and CCs on Selected track, using GR.

However, I had another look at the Studio/Mackie Control setup. It still makes no sense to me in relation to the KorgnanoKontrol Studio. (nte that it is not NanoKeys).
Here is a screenshot:

It appears no different when MIDI In/Out are set to the Korg.

Can you explain it to me at all?

As I said above, You plug it in, add some tracks, open the mixer and play with the knobs and sliders on your device. You observe what they do in the daw, and then you know. That’s about it. There is nothing to configure.

So it seems to me that, as I thought, the Assignable Mode in Korg, and Generic Remote in Cubase, is needed to use each Korg button/knob as a specific CC or Command sent to whatever track is selected. The Cubase Mode in Korg, and the Mackie Control setup, would be for controlling the mixer if you wanted to do that.