Hyperthreading, Multi-Core Functionality, and ASIO-Guard

Hi all, let me start this off by saying that I know that there is already information out there in other posts regarding what I am about to ask. There is tons of conflicting information though, and I’m just looking for a definite answer with some of these questions. I am upgrading my PC currently, and would like to optimize everything as best as possible.

Computer Specs:
Win 10
Cubase 10.5
i9-10940x (14 core)
96GB RAM
Program Files, Project Files, and VST Samples on separate SSDs

Hyperthreading:

In regards to hyperthreading, I’ve seen lots of conflicting information regarding the benefits to have it turned on or off. Considering my CPU (i9-10940x 14 core), should hyperthreading be turned on or off? I use Kontakt the most in Cubase, which tends to max out single cores far before it puts any sort of load on the entire CPU especially with some script heavy sample libraries.

ASIO Guard:

Here’s another topic that I see a lot of conflicting information. Some posts I see say to have ASIO Guard turned off if using script heavy instances in Kontakt. I’m currently running into an issue with some of Spitfire’s sample libraries maxing out the buffer and causing dropouts, and the first thing Spitfire mentioned to me was to turn off ASIO Guard. That seems very counter-productive though, as Cubase clearly has this feature for a reason in order to maximize multi-core CPU usage. So, what should ASIO Guard be set to in certain situations?

Appreciate all the help!

re: hyperthreading.

There isn’t a yes/no answer. You need to test both and see which is better. If you are working at very low latencies then OFF will probably be better - once your buffer gets higher then you might see some performance advantage.

ASIO guard is automatically disabled on record enabled / input monitored tracks - Not sure that Spitfire support actually know what they are on about :slight_smile: I always leave it on. Some of the spitfire libraries have pretty sloppy scripting (IMO) and are real CPU hogs

1 Like

That’s what I thought, regarding ASIO Guard. Spitfire seems to have horrible scripting, which is unfortunate. Appreciate your insight on this though, just wish there more consistency with these optimizations.