I am SO pissed at steinberg+Celemony ARA ISSUES!

I spend a significant amount of time editing vocals and instruments under Melodime and most of the times Cubase just doesn’t save the changes and edits i make in ARA
So I lose hours of work every month.
I thought Cubase 12 will change it.
Celemony told me it’s an ARA issue and that I should talk to Steinberg and I was really hoping Cubase 12 will change it but… no.
It happened in Cubase 11 end it happens on Cubase 12 and at least under 2 latest versions of Melodyne.
It happens only on ARA never on Melodyne as an insert.
SO ANNOYING!

Imac 2020 i9 10 core, 64 gb ram, Catalina.

P.s try opening several ara Melodyne on Cubase (more than 5) and you’ll see a significant slowing down of Cubase respond time in the project, doesn’t seem to matter how strong your computer as it turns it into a 15-year-old machine in a heartbeat.

Has anyone else experienced these issues or maybe even found a solution?

4 Likes

I don’t use melodyne or mac, but whenever I need to use Revoice Pro with ARA for a vocal, I usually do the following:

I duplicate my track version.
Enable my extension on the event.
Do my edits.

And when I am happy with my results, I bounce it (audio/bounce selection).

Changes are saved and the Revoice Pro instance is gone so it doesn’t tax my cpu.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

I am having significant problems with ARA 2 in Cubase 11 Pro as well.

Mine is with Revoice Pro. Just like you i would lose hours of edits. I’d have multiple audio tracks marked with the “extension” icon, and when I’d come back to them for further editing, Revoice Pro would not send the edited track to play in Cubase, the edits seemed “jailed” on Revoice Pro.

Often at those times i couldn’t even drag and drop my Revoice Pro track into Cubase, so all my edits seemed unavailable to me in Cubase.

I decided to change my workflow by rendering in place immediately when I’m done in any given edit, then immediately “un- extension” that track in Cubase to see if that helped - so no more than one track is “Extensioned” at a time. I haven’t tried that enough to see if that is a true fix.

I thought this was a Revoice Pro problem, but after reading your post, maybe it’s an ARA 2 problem?

2 Likes

I have reported these same issues multiple times. The standard reply to just bounce the track is not the solution. With Melodyne you can be happy with an edit then open it later and decide you want to tweak. But if you bounce, you will never be able to just make the odd tweak with any confidence because you will be starting from scratch again with a part that has already been melodyned. The whole point of computers is that you can reliable store and retrieve information. Lets say you are halfway through an edit and need a break. You should be able to simply save and expect to reopen the file and continue where you stopped. With the current situation, Melodyne ARA in Cubase corrupts a LOT. Same issue doesn’t happen in Presonus Studio One from my testing, or even in the basic version of Samplitude…

1 Like

I find it most important to bounce to a new audio file BEFORE applying melodyne - i’ll do this no matter which DAW i’m using. Maybe a little OCD, but not had issues with losing edits.

I just feel that it creates a more solid foundation for the edits vs having potentially events that are duplicates of the same audio file on the timelime.

1 Like

Hi @Eddie_Stealth_Studio - Thanks for your thought-provoking and interesting reply!

I absolutely agree we need to have the freedom to take a break in the middle of editing and be able to come back and pick up where we left off.

Why do you think making the odd tweak to a part that has already been processed through Melodyne, (or any of the other extensions?) prevents us from doing that?

Thanks!

Hi @skijumptoes !

You wrote,

Do you ever have multiple tracks “extensioned” at the same time?

I do, and also have some of the problems mentioned in this thread … but if you also have multiple tracks “extensioned” at the same time and don’t have these problems after bouncing the audio file before applying ARA 2 , then that sounds very promising.

Thanks!

Have you seen this thread?: Cubase 11 ARA folder is gigantic from using Melodyne

At least as it relates to massive Cubase slow down, it could be related to comped tracks. My take-away from that thread is to do any comping first and bouncing to a new track prior to adding Melodyne as an extension. I’ve had fewer problems using this workflow. It’s a pain because sometimes I might realize later on that I had a better take and it’s a hassle to get where I need to be.

If you duplicate the track version and edit the duplicate you can still go back to the non edited version in case you need to revisit the edits of a specific word or part.
Having the track edited into a single event before applying extensions is a good practice I think. After that, just bounce. If you need to take a break or go out, just cut the event or do it by sections and keep bouncing as you finish.

The render in place is worse than bounce because it creates a new track. I find the track versions and bounce workflow better.

1 Like

No more than two, and even then it’s rare unless I’m playing around with multiple harmonies - I only use it for vocals.

It’s very popular with Studio One users to press Ctrl+b to bounce before applying melodyne, which is where the habit formed for me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup I have been rendering out of fear as well.
Seems like an ARA issue to me.

1 Like

If you load a track that has been partially melodyned, save the project and come back to it, then open melodyne and find all your edits corrupted and lost, i would say that qualifies as preventing proper editing. if you BOUNCE a track that has been melodyned you end up with a melodyned track that also contains no melodyne-able edits. they will be baked in. so if you had spent a long time on one word for example, to get the slide or vibrato just right but then decide to make a minor tweak, you should be able to go into melodyne and adjust very finely. if it’s bounced you can’t go back to the last edit. obviously when you render in place you keep the original track and the melodyne ara, but if it’s corrupted then it’s useless. I don’t understand why people who don’t rely on this stuff to work don’t know the reason why we shouldn’t just accept it and bounce. sure, make it permanent once the client has agreed that it is done, but we shouldn’t be FORCED to bounce as we go because the 2 programs have glitches. just saying bounce the track lets this bug continue as it has since cubase 10.5

4 Likes

I should say i’ve lost hours of edits and I’ve also only applied Revoice P ro 4.3 using ARA 2 on tracks that were already bounced before i opened RVP.

Is this a Melodyne and Revoice Pro problem, or an ARA 2 problem?

Can you reproduce it in any way?
Also, are you running Cubase ‘as admin’ account within a user login? That can cause issues with any kind of external access from applications or media files.

Is that accurate, though? Wouldn’t you have to start from scratch, rather than be able to “revisit … edits”?

Thanks!

Yes, let me explain my way.

Once I have the duplicate edited with revoice and bounced, if I still think after listening that one word or phrase needs retweak, I can cut that word or phrase from the unedited track version and edit just that.

I hope this helps.

Yes, @glainin perfect, thank you!

1 Like

Because it contradicts the whole face paced notion of ara.

I am also really pissed at the unreliable state of ARA and Melodyne, it REALLY needs to be addressed as it’s currently not fit for purpose. Losing all your editing data from Melodyne after a ‘Save As’ or simply reopening the same project a day later, is just totally unacceptable.
I now make a keyboard short cut in Cubendo12 for ‘Make Offline Process Permanent’ (faster than bounce or render in project.)
But that’s a crap workaround as (like many of us) I’d prefer to leave all my edits in Melodyne incase I want to go back and tweak just a little here or there.

3 Likes