I am unable to link the MAIN of the Control Room to the main audio outputs

I’m back from several months on Pro Tools and I’m on version 10.5 of Cubase. I configure the Control Room. All cues work, but I am unable to link the MAIN of the Control Room to the main audio outputs (the only outputs, in fact, with the red speaker) configured in the audio connections. I disable the Hand and it still plays on the main audio outputs, and no button of the Main is effective (volume, etc). I must forget something but I can not find it. Thank you for helping me.

In order to use the control room you DISCONNECT the output-ports of main out from any physical port.
In the control room setup you assign the physical ports that are free now to one of the monitor sets (there are 4 of them so you can switch the sound to various speaker configurations - each of those can have separate inserts applied, btw.).

To monitor the main mix you simply select this in the control room mixer. it is not affected by the cues in any way.

Hope to help, Ernst

Thank you for this solution, Ersnt. Indeed, it works. But what is the “Main”? In which case? I had already set things up a year or so ago with the Main that was linked to the main monitor. The manual indicates that there is a link between the Main of the Control Room and the main output of the audio connections.

The main channel in cubase is the one output channel that you route everything to in order to create a mixdown later and export it.
To do this this main channel only needs physical outputs assigned if you dont use the control room. In this case your monitor speakers will be connected here.
If you use the control room, this is no longer needed. The main channel then only serves as the summing channel for export.
You can use the physical ports (that are free now) and attach the monitor speakers to the control room in the way I have explained it.
The main-channel in the mixer (and project window) is internally connected to your control room and you can decide to route this mainmix to the various targets: any of your monitor (speaker) channels, a headphone channel, the cue channels (of course you can route other sources, like cue mixes to your monitor speakers temporarily if needed).
A side remark: You are allowed to still connect your normal “main channel” to physical outputs. If you use the same ports as you are using in the control room for connections to monitor speakers you will have DOUBLED Signals (iow double singal and thus way too high levels - might kill your speakers).
You are free to use other output ports if you need connection to something extermal (for example a dat recorder or whatever you intend to connect).
HTH, Ernst

Very good explanation. Better than the manual. I understand better and I will apply all that. Really, thank you.

Have fun with the control room - it is a great feature. I use 4 Pairs of monitor speakers in my setup - they all have their own inserts for room correction (just my choice). The Listen-Function alone is worth using the control room imho.

Generally I understand the control room as the “device” that handles listening in the studio - for the mixingengineer and the musicians, whereas the main out (and others, you may have as many out-channels as you want- see direct routing, etc. - one of them will be the main out, internally routed to the control room as “main mix”) serves for “Recording” (Export of the mix) which is not influenced by any of the Control Room settings.

Indeed, it is essential, once accustomed.

I have here my system of proximity (my Focal with Sub), then audiophile speakers (two old Dynaudio MSP220 with 3 ways), then my headphones of mixing and piano-voice, all leaving Atlas Prismsound. No need for other output or talback, as it is a private studio. I would add only cheap monitors as a general reference (but an iPad does the trick, in this sad time).

A thing bizzare though: you need a non-active stereo output to have an audible master in the Mixconsole and the editor. I have long searched for what was wrong. Steinberg could have made it more obvious … and write it in his manual.

Thanks again, and good music.