I can't hear audio in youtube when Cubase is open.

Hi,
Last night, i was watching CuBase tutorials on youtube.
I wanted to try out something that i saw in the tutorial, so i opened CuBase to try it. The audio from youtube no longer worked until i closed CuBase. Is this normal?

My PC’s system specs are posted in my first forum post.
Do i have a strong enough PC system?.. or is there some setting in CuBase i must set to allow me to hear audio in youtube while CuBase is open?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

Focus on Devices > Device Setup > VST Audio System and the “Release when application is in background” switcher, please.

Search manual or the forum for explanation.

Hi,

Thanks.
Okay, i did what you suggested and it fixed the situation.

But i forgot to mention something in my first post above.I had no sound because the video was taking long to load.
Even now, some longer videos in youtube take a really long time to load when CuBase is open.

For example, i just clicked on the Story of Led Zeppelin video which is 59 minutes in duration The Led Zeppelin Story - YouTube
and i keep seeing a message on the youtube video screen saying, “If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your devices”.
So far, i am still waiting for that video to load, and its been over 5 minutes.
Shorter videos work fine but the longer ones are taking very long to open only when CuBase is open.
Is there another switch i need to change, or is my new PC just not powerful enough to watch long youtube videos while CuBase is open?

My PC configuration:

Intel i3-6100/3.7/3M/1151
Mother Board ASUS H110M-C SM
1X Kingston 8G DDR 2133
ASUS 950TX 2G DDR5
LGS H24NSCO BK 24X SATA DUAL LAYER DVD+/-RW
THERMAL TAKE TR2 OEM TR-500 500W
AEOS USB 3.0 mATX CASE
WINDOWS 10 Family
KINGSTON SSD 480 GB

Thanks.
Robbie

You should blame your audio interface. AFAIK, some audio interfaces, while working under ASIO on PC, are unable to process other audio streams well at the same time. Even though Steinberg could release their occupation of the ASIO driver in background, it does not guarantee the performance of foreground non-ASIO audio applications.

Hi ,

Thanks.
So should i then invest in a better audio card? Of course a better card is the way to go but will, what is happening now, with my audio card just get worse as time goes on? My audio card is a generic card, nothing special.
Will that card work well with CuBase?

Remember, this PC was bought only last Friday.

PC is a terrible choice if you want to use built-in audio to run ASIO applications. I suggest you to return your laptop and get a Mac unless you have your special purposes or necessities of using PC. In such case, an external audio interface with discrete ASIO support is of vital importance. You could simply buy a Steinberg UR22-mkII.

Hi ShikiSuen,

Thanks.
No, i bought a PC tower, not a laptop.
A PC is much less expensive than a Mac and that is the “special purpose or necessity” for me.
I simply can’t afford to buy a Mac.

I used to use an older CuBase software, Ver 3.7 about 15 years ago. And at the same time, i was using CuBasis VST ver 1.0.
Back then, my Sound Blaster Live Value card was great and served the purpose (for me).

This is the first time in many years that i am back using any DAW. It’s all very, very new and different from what i was used to.
Now, the times have changed and so has the fast-moving technology. I really feel as though i am behind the times.

By the way, i have a Steinberg UR 242 interface. How would a UR22-mkll make a difference when i want to watch a long youtube video with CuBase open, or, was that just a suggestion you made that was unrelated to my issue of not being able to watch a long youtube video when CuBase is running?

I understand my sound card should be upgraded to something better. That is clear.
BUT can my problem with watching long youtube videos when CuBase is open be resolved with a different CuBase setting?
Remember, LONG youtube videos will not load when while CuBase is open.
That is the new question i am asking in this thread.
I only mentioned my sound card because i was wondering if THAT could be the reason why long youtube videos won’t play when CuBase is open. Short videos now play since i’ve changed the device settings as suggested to me by Martin.Jirsak.

Maybe i should be talking to a PC person and not a Mac person? I don’t know as i am like a newborn babe to all of this.
I just want to start recording songs as i have 15 years of songs to re-record with my new DAW.
First, i have to learn how to use the DAW and the new interface and everything else. I’ve never used a digital guitar interface until only a few months ago and that was just to test it.

I still have to put all of this new information together in my head and start recording. At 56 years old, i think i’d rather let some local whiz-kid with a computer record me. But i do like recording myself.

For now, i need to know why the longer youtube videos do not load when CuBase is running, even after using
Martin.Jirsak’s good advice.

Thanks.
Robbie

CPU, a i3 does only work for very light Daw use.
Your ur242 is a fine sound device, I have one myself. It has onboard DSP fx that you should use to take the pressure of the i3 when using Cubase.
Why YouTube videos take a long time to load I can only guess that it is the CPU maxing out, but that should be easy enough to check by opening the task manager and watch the CPU usage.

PC is a great choice for running Cubase.

you just need a multi client audio device.

I’m using steinberg UR824 and MR816 devices as they all have multi client drivers so I can use ASIO and WDM at the same time with different sample rates etc.

MC

Not sure what version of CB or what internet browser is being used here (I may have missed it in the previous posts) but, I think I remember similar issues with the Steinberg Hub acting weirdly with some browsers. So please report what you are using and try shutting off the Steinberg hub to see if it helps. File>Preferences>General menu.

Regards :sunglasses:

UR242 is having high performance than UR22mkII. If you use your on-board audio output, it will consume your CPU resources since this is the general weak point of soft ASIO acceleration. Plus, your Core i3 CPU needs to handle both ASIO pro-audio streaming and Youtube media decoding.

In your special case, I suggest you to upgrade your CPU to an i7 or an Xeon for your desktop towel computer.

Note that Hackintosh is also your choice as long as your hardware components are capable of compatibility requirements. Simply use Clover plus Apple original macOS Installer is fine, not like Chamelon which needs a lot of work to configure it. For same hardware components, macOS utilizes your hardware more efficiently regarding audio processing.

It’s doubtful that the problem has anything to do with your PC processor speed. You should be able to improve matters using a different audio device with more software inputs. (cannot advise on the UR242, not familiar with it).

With certain hardware/software configurations Cubase might interrupt the audio playback of any video (of whatever length) every time you return the focus to Cubase.

Also, on PC, Cubase has some focus issues and in certain situations doesn’t respond well when you switch between different applications.

First off, I run a PC and I can use Cubase while playing audio from youtube just fine! :wink:
I will say right now that I think your hardware should be plenty, as long as you don’t have tons of VST loaded in Cubase. (No huge and complex plugins, etc.)

I sometimes play guitar routed into cubase with some insert effects from a few plugins, and I can play along with audio from a video from youtube or a video clip on my computer.
(I am not great at guitar, but I use the videos to try and learn.)
So I know that it’s possible for cubase and youtube to work together on windows like that.

I will list a few different possible causes of the delay, how to diagnose them, and a possible software solution.
I don’t think you will need to change hardware, but it’s possible, so I will list alternative hardware solutions as well.

1) Lack of CPU resources
If the CPU gets overloaded, it may ‘stall’ the less important task. Windows might be deciding that youtube is not as important, and hence, the video hardly gets any CPU time.
How to diagnose:
Go into task manager and check the CPU usage. If CPU usage is sitting above 50% all the time, this may be the cause. Your processor (the i3-6100 from what you said) is dual core with hyper threading. This means that any time CPU usage is over 50% some things might start to get slowed down. If CPU usage is usually under 50% when this is happening, it’s almost surely not the case.
Solution:
Make sure there’s no other pesky software running that’s taking up your CPU time. Also, try to only keep one tab open at a time in your browser. My brother keeps dozens of tabs open, and all of the adds keep taking up his CPU!
Alternatively, upgrading the processor to an i5 or i7 would improve performance considerably.

2) Poor performance of graphics hardware
The i3-6100 has a built in GPU, and I believe a media decoder unit as well.
CPU based media decoders are normally improvements, but possibly might give poor performance while doing something else at the same time.
How to diagnose:
Does the problem happen only when cubase is running, or does it happen if you run something of similar load to cubase? A (simple) game would be a close match to cubase, I think. If the problem also happens when running the game, then this could be the cause.
Solutions:
You would need to the web-browser or the youtube video player to not use the media accelerator in the CPU.
It would be a matter of disabling “h.264 hardware acceleration” in the video player. Not sure exactly how, though, unfortunately. The settings for these things are never where I expect them to be. Might be a right click on the video? It used to be at least.
Alternatively, getting a graphics card may help. Even a very cheap one should do wonders for video performance.

3) Running out of RAM
If you run out of RAM, your system will start using virtual memory on your disk. This will cause intense slowdowns for anything that needs to load into memory. It would seem to fit that longer videos may require more memory, so this could explain why it only happens on long videos.
How to diagnose:
Open task manager and check the memory usage when this happens. You are looking for the total “physical” memory usage. If it’s maxed out, then you’ve got a problem!
Solution:
Close any application you don’t need open, and try to keep VST usage to only the minimum you need.
Alternatively, you could get additional RAM for your computer. Based on the specs you posted, your board should have two slots, and you’ve only got one stick now. Getting another 8GB of the same memory would give you 16Gb total. That would give you as much as I have, and I rarely ever run out of ram!
Unless I try to use some East/Wests VST plugins…

4) Audio interface / ASIO / Other software issues
I don’t have a concrete way to diagnose or solve this, but there are many things that can be played around with.
There’s a lot of questions you could ask yourself to help narrow things down.
Do you have windows using the audio interface, or your built-in sound card? What happens if these settings are changed?
What happens if cubase is set to use the Generic ASIO Driver, instead of the audio interface?
Does the issue go away when not using the audio interface?
Does the problem happen as soon as cubase is opened, or only when certain effects are loaded?
etc.

Alternatively, trying a different audio interface may help. I use a Saffire Pro-14, and a Line6 UX2. They both work, though the Pro-14 has much better latency in general, and way better pre-amps. I mostly got the Line6 for the guitar effects.

There’s of course, all kinds of other random things it could be, but these are the ones I know how to fix.

Also, following Procks suggestion to disable the Steinberg Hub may be worth a try, too, since this happened to me in a previous version.

Good luck! (For the record, I am a PC person. :sunglasses:)

Geez. I had thought if i posted in the Steinberg forums that i would be helped by a Steinbeg person who could look at the PC confiuration i have posted he and could help me.

I am getting so many different opinions that i almost feel like i just did a google search got a page of random answers, and now i have to be the one to decide what is the best response. I feel more confused than i was befere.
I bought new PC, it’s not a mac, Sorry. I use a tower, not a laptop.

I appreciate all the time you all spent writing your posts but i wish a Steinberg person could jump in any time now with the knowledgeable and correct answers, instead of a bunch of different opinions from several well-meaning people.

I do appreciate the help but your answers seem so different from one another that it’s not very helpful. It’s more discouraging if anything, i hope you know what i mean and know that i am not trying to appear ungrateful.

Telling me a PC is a horrible choice and that i should buy a Mac, when many people use PC’s with cubase, is not helpful when i already bought the PC. I am not PC technician. |I have not touched this type of recording gear in 15 years.
When i was in cubase 15 years ago. it was nothing like this.I plugged it in and it worked.
I’m looking at the system requirements on the cubase box and it says nothing about using an i7, unless it’s written in code or something.

I went to the PC store and told the guy i need a PC on which to do video editing. I assumed editing video would be a much heavier work load than working with audio files and MIDI in cubase.
So he suggested what i ended up buying. I spent $1200.00.
I am not employed now, so i can’t go out and replace everything with top of the line gear. I am not a top of the line type of guy. If i could afford it, i would be.
I was told this PC is good enough.

So again, thanks to all but it seems i need someone who can look at the configuration and tell me what’s going on, in “English”, lol so i can STILL use what i just spent $1200,00 not to mention the UR242 and the cubase software. This whole set up is totally new to me, I just jumped from Windows XP to Win 10, i just jumped from cubase 3.7 to Pro 8.
All of these differing answers make me feel like i just jumped off of a cliff without a parachute. lol

1 Like

I found this on an Ableton Live site and this worked for me. I was trying to watch Lynda: Cubase Up and Running while fiddling with the program.

I did this after I followed some advice above within the Cubase software under Devices/Device Setup/VST Audio System and checking Release Driver when Application is in the Background.

On your Windows PC, type “Sound” in your Start Menu search, go to the properties of your default audio output device (Speaker or Headphones, etc), go to the advanced settings tab and uncheck the exclusivity box.

You probably still can’t play both at the same time but this should allow you to switch back and forth more easily.

Hey Robbie,
I had the same issue.

Laughed my ass off when someone mentioned to go buy a mac, dont listen to any of that foolish talk.

Its got nothing to do with anything other than your

a) sound card / playback settings
b) Cubase ASIO Driver settinsgs

try these

\

1. make Sure in Cubase, this is checked.
    +1 to studebach.
    “… under Devices/Device Setup/VST Audio System and checking Release Driver when Application is in the Background.”

Go to Control Panel > manage Audio devices, select “playback” tab , choose your soundcard , click on properties.
Click on Advanced Tab
Uncheck “Allow applications to take control of your device”
Basically this will allow your browser and cubase to share the sound resources and play both.

Best ~

1 Like

Where can i find these settings if im on Acer computer? Nothing works, cant listen to spotify og tutorials on YT. Help

They are inside Cubase, if you are on 9.5 they have been moved to the Studio menu.

I have all the memory and processing power Cubase needs, and still my PC has this YouTube-Cubase conflict thing. Checking “Quit running in the background” doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. When I need to watch a YouTube vid during Cubase, I just do it on my tablet …

because the most important hing is missing - a decent multiclient ASIO Audio card.