I do not understand Cubase 8.0.30 Performance

Did anyone ever find out from Steinberg what the performance issue is? Right now I have a project playing back and the Cubase performance monitor is almost maxed out. It only has 4 VSTIs running and a few audio tracks. If I add one more vsti it crashes. Yet at this moment my windows performance monitor is at 11% with short spikes up to 18%.

I see some people throwing thousands of dollars at PC upgrades to overcome this problem but that’s not right. Is it just a small minority of us having this problem or is Cubase 8 a fail? It’s only using a small fraction of my CPU’s capacity. As Cubase sits here almost totally maxed out on the verge of crashing I can run other programs in the background that are snappy and responsive as if nothing was running on my machine so clearly the processor is barely being used by Cubase.

@RC, it may indeed be an issue, but 4 VSTis may be a problem if you have a high number of “voices” on each VSTi.
For example, I may be able to run 100 tracks of audio material without audio dropout but if I run just 3 instances of an older version of XFER Serum and have a very high number of voices being generated by each (about 100 each) just those 3 VSTIs playing with FX can cause audio dropouts by themselves.

Without seeing your machine it would be very hard to guess.
If your issue is a problem like that, it is easily overcome with freeze or render in place.

Do you use HT on the processors in the BIOS and have you made any registry changes to affect processor parking?
There are a few web sites which give performance tips and wrongly (for today’s OS versions) recommend changing these settings.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t changed any bios or registry settings. The 4 VSTIs are 3 instances of Komplete Kontrol, one with a piano, one with a percussion and one with Razor and the fourth is an instance of Kontakt with a very basic very low CPU usage synth lead. I’m not getting audio dropouts but Cubase is running close to its max processing ability. There is lots of available ram left. And the PC is running cool with tons of available CPU. It seems like Cubase 8 can only use a small portion of the CPU and the rest is sitting there doing nothing. Why is this? It should be using as much resources as the computer can offer.

Ah… NI VSTIs can be intensive if you don’t tweak the settings!
They usually have a setting for CPU usage in their options or preferences (or some use the quick terms High, Ultra etc.)
Reaktor5 has it in File Preferences.
And Razor should tell you the number of voices being generated on the main GUI while you’re playing.

And Kontakt lets you use multiple CPU cores as well. But that’s all in the options of the VSTI.
Cubase has little to do with that.
I keep mine at 4 cores and cpu overload off.

Thanks. Something weird is going on here. That single instance of Komplete Kontrol running Razor says it’s at 50% CPU load. But windows performance monitor sits at 13%. Does this mean it’s only using one core and that’s why it’s up at 50%? I’m looking in preferences and don’t see how to enable or disable multiple cores for Komplete Kontrol.

Yes it sounds like something weird is going on!
I don’t use Komplete Kontrol so I really couldn’t answer that. Anything else from the Komplete Ultimate 10 lineup I could help you with. But given that the rest of the NI stuff has CPU utilization controls in preferences it may very well be there if you look around. If you can’t find it you can always try the NI Users forum they’re usually quite helpful!

Wow.

You are correct.
My Orchestral Template that WOULD NOT run now works fine in 8.03 with everything on the same machine in VEP5.
It’s still a bit rough (though it will run) in 8.5 so I’m sticking with 8.03 for now.

I have a slave and 2 more being built but in this state of transition I’m just on the one for the moment.
It will be quite nice to get the whole thing up and running.

It is just ODD to me that Steinberg DEVELOPED VST(i) technology but can’t get it right in their own software!

They REALLY do need to work on PERFORMANCE in Cubase. It’s such a wonderful DAW otherwise.

Hugh

I have to confirm with sadness that we can not utilize our new machines to its fullest potential due to Cubase.
Today i ran few Tests with CUDA. While on CUDA my plugins utilize about 70-80% less HIT on the CPU thru
Task Manager the Cubase CPU Meter still shows exactly as the ones not on CUDA. Same thing running a Server
or VEPro on Server or anywhere. CPU Drastically Drops but in Cubase it self no improvements. Now if it was
just a meter for visualization one can just ignore it but this is not the case, when it hits 100% you crash even
though your processor is barely hitting 40% use. I spent 3000$ 2 months ago to build new machine and that was
all just to get the same exact performance as my old i7 860…time to look somewhere else.

Take a look here on that: