I hate computer people.

I’m at my wits end. All I wanna do is record music. I finally get my Cubase 9 working well and now my computer updates. Guess what…now I get some message about running “LCC” and now my projects just randomly play static. I’d be better off with viruses.

Which version of Cubase 9 is this? Which LCC error did you get exactly? What are your computer specifications?

We can’t really help you if you don’t help us help you. Most eLicenser/“LCC” problems go away by just installing the latest eLicenser Control Center and letting it run Maintenance.

I did that. Im not getting an LCC message anymore but I have static coming through when I open a project. How do people not get fired/publicly flogged for this?

If this began happening after an operating system update, then of course it’s a computer issue. It’s extremely unlikely that it’s Cubase that’s causing the your problem.

Have you checked your audio connections? (F4)
Is Cubase using the correct ASIO driver? Go to Device Setup (Studio Setup in 9.5) and check the VST Audio System category.
Do the files in the Pool Window (Ctrl+P) play correctly? Right click a file and select “Show in Explorer”.

And again, nobody on this forum knows anything about your computer.

Well I don’t know anything about my computer either. It was built specifically for this purpose and it uses Windows X. That’s all I know.

The projects will play and I can hear them…but a blast of static happens every ten seconds or so.

Ok so the static is coming only through certain unmuted channels. If I mute them the static stops. They are guitar channels and they now sound terrible when I attempt to play through them.

Is your soundcard being shared with any other programs, especially something that uses ASIO drivers?

I think I figured it out. My IK Media “Amplitube” software needed to be reauthorized after the update. How convenient. An entire days work lost while chasing this nonsense. And they say that one day we will all be computers… Our entire lives wiped out by some idiotic software engineers lack of foresight. Great.

The day we were seduced to buy a computer for recording, becoming a computer/software troubleshooting expert became our more and more demanding mistress.

Time for tape machines and outboard gear.

Exactly.

I feel your pain tbh. I’m forever having issues on my PC based setup. Crashes, freezes, sidechains not showing up, etc, etc. Considering going down the mac route, but so expensive.

And you think that this will solve all your problems? :slight_smile:

Friend of mine has a mac setup and it’s really stable. I just think it’s the luck of the draw with Windows, with regards to whether you get a stable set up or not. There are so many things which could be causing issues (bios settings, Motherboard compatibility, audio interface drivers, etc, etc) - trouble shooting is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have a lot of issues, even though I have an ok spec PC (I7, 16gig ram, ssd, etc)

This is why I turn off Automatic Updates in Windows. Once it works don’t change it.

My buddy has more issues on mac than ive ever seen.

Interesting thread.

I come from the days when music was recording in those “real” studios. In order to be considered a fully competent engineer, a person had to intimately know more individual and diverse pieces of electronic kit and microprocessor systems than any other profession in the world (astronauts a possible exception). Additionally one would need to understand both the electronics and mechanics of tape machines and then be calm enough to operate, adjust, set up and repair them under fire in tense (and very expensive) sessions. One studio day’s cost would buy a modern computer system outright, a second would buy a lot of professional software.

Modern computers by comparison are an absolute doddle. Similar operating procedures across the whole DAW, almost no alignment or repairs, fractional cost for huge capability, total recall, undo, instant software upgrades, cheap repairs, free stuff and so on.

Mac or Windows? They both have their peccadillos.

The problem here isn’t computers or the people that design and operate them. It’s more a phobic response to learning something new, followed quickly by a defensive and offensive over-reaction and the crazy assumption that this modern tech is all useless rubbish. In this case the OP’s issue was easily resolved once investigated and was an understandable user error. That’s all it was, no big thing.

I understand musical frustration, I am far more musician than technician, but I would say that jumping to conclusions without methodical investigation and assuming that something or someone else must be to blame for every difficulty encountered is a strategy that wouldn’t have worked well in those old days. Suggesting public flogging and dismissal is not the best tactic if you want to garner help from some of the highly experienced and knowledgeable people on the forum. Just ask the questions when you have problems and some bright mind will jump to trying to provide a solution.

Agree with the above. It’s part of the territory knowing about computers. Studios home or professional need a good deal of knowledge regarding the tools. This includes computers and has done for over 20 years. It’s actu got a lot simpler.

The problem with this subject is that the scale of learning involved is quite daunting. It is more often than not the, lack of technical engagement that causes the most problems interacting with software like Cubase. In a way it is very much like learning an instrument. It is easy to start learning to play the guitar. However as soon as you try to play more complex pieces of music you are constrained by you limitations. So therefore you have to learn how to play the piece bit by bit.

After a while of doing this it gets easier to pick up new pieces of music and you begin to make connections and see patterns. In short you are beginning to see things in a musical way. It is no different learning how to use Cubase. The more problem solving you do the easier it gets. You begin to see patterns and connections and you find it more intuitive to make music. Never make the mistake of believing that using a complex piece of software like Cubase is going to be easy to master. I have been using Cubase since the Atari days and I am still learning new ways to do things, but I will say that making music is really intuitive, as I have developed my own way of working. Much as there are things that I don’t like about Cubase in it’s present form, there is far more that I love.

Hating “computer people” is ultimately pointless, as it is “computer people” that have made it possible to create music with so many extraordinary possibilities.

Maybe it’s just an issue of a misplaced comma, and unknownsaxophone meant, “I hate computer, people.” :unamused: :laughing:

(hope you don’t mind, this will go to the lounge :wink: )