I just bought Jamstix Studio

Regularly $249, it’s on sale for $159 through the end of May. This contains everything they make as far as I know.

Anyone have any useful insights on where to begin once I get the download link and install it? I’ve been eying this package for well over a year and now that I have it and Komplete 8 I think I’m good for the next 3 years on software. :laughing: I just need to figure out how to make the most use out of this especially by integrating Jamstix with the NI drummer packages (Battery, Studio Drummer, Abbey Roads, etc.), which is why I’m asking you collectively for advice.

Should have bought Addictive Drums.

To upgrade to version 3 is $49. But it doesn’t come with all of the packs, etc.

I bought Jamstix for its approach to generating drumlines. I have owned Battery 3 for quite some time and am quite happy using it to hand compose drumlines so I don’t need another sample based VSTi nor do I have the time, patience, or memory to audition fifty million drum loops.

Yeah, I know. But an e-kit is nowhere nearly as good as an acoustic kit. But that is a pain in the ass too - you have to mic it properly and either have an iso-drum room or wait until the house is empty. E-kits just don’t pick up on the nuances of a drummer the way a mic + “real” kit does.

But that’s irrelevant since I have neither type of kit. :smiley:

:laughing: @ passing gas for added realism.

I’ve been using Jamstix for several years now. The current version paired up with a decent drum module (in my case Steve Slate Drums 4) is a fabulous solution in my opinion. Jamstix’s ability to compose and model in real-time various styles and real human drummers habits makes it quite unique and enormously flexible. For me, if a don’t have access to live drums played by a GOOD drummer then Jamstix is easily the next best thing. And needless to say the learning curve can be fairly substantial, particularly if you want to get the best out of it. And like a lot of plugins and in fact software generally, there’s also plenty of features that I haven’t even gone near…yet!

You might want to start out using Jamstix’s internal kits initially, and then when you’re reasonably familiar with it then look at slaving whatever drum module to it. Or, alternatively simply using Jamstix to ‘compose’ then create a MIDI to use with your drum module of choice. You will of course need appropriate mappings etc installed.

This is probably the best place to start!

:sunglasses:

^ This from someone whose drum sounds EVERYONE complains of. :laughing:

Larry, please have your wife call my wife to indoctrinate her on allowing so much gear acquisition… thanks! :laughing: :wink:

(joint bank accounts sometimes suck!) :confused:

Heh Robin. The way I got around that is simple: my wife’s financial management skills suck so even though we have a joint bank account she doesn’t even remember how to login to our online banking system. And since I keep the ledger in Excel rather than an old fashioned check register she has no way to check the activity on the account since the Excel spreadsheet is one of my private files rather than being in a shared location. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Plus, it didn’t hurt that yesterday was a major makeup show and since she’s a makeup artist she probably spent twice as much as I did. :laughing:

Why is Ahhhnold Schwarzenegger narrating the video? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

“Jaaah, und I am Franz, and we’re here to pump smack … you up!” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hahaha now you ruined the entire video for me! Lucky me I don’t use Jamstix which would mean I would have to sit through this Schwarzenegger Session™

One day I made the mistake of asking Larry on facebook about a recent software purchase of his. He shot me off a pm so quick it made my head spin, begging me to delete my comment before his wife saw it. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I remember that. I didn’t tell her I was buying Komplete 8. It shouldn’t have mattered because she had already told me a month or so prior to upgrade from Cubase 4.5.2 to 6. And I sold my Yamaha WX5 MIDI sax for $300 which nearly paid for the crossgrade from Kontakt 3 to Komplete 8. However, I’m constantly yelling at her for spending too much money and didn’t want to start an argument.

(I’m not hypocritical though - she overspends consistently whereas I buy with surgical precision only when we have more than enough excess to do some things that need to be done and then, if there is enough leftover, buy what I want. Ah, the joys of being married…)

:laughing:

Still playing with it. Am having some hiccups that are either installation related issues or due to user error. Stay tuned.

Version 3 is WAY better! In fact I think Ver3.5 and 64-bit versions are due out soon :sunglasses:
I think Steve Slate Drums 4 largely solved the regular complaints about snares, but needless to say the good people over in “Made With Cubase” soon found other things to nitpick over :laughing:

I meant functionality, features and its ability to ‘compose’ drums tracks etc… :sunglasses:

I have to admit, I’m a bit disappointed in the usability of the plug-in. I’ve offered to Ralph to send him notes on usability - something I was a bit well-known for back in the 90’s :laughing: - and he said that he would be happy to receive them after JS3.5 comes out. (That’s the 64-bit version, for the record.)

Like most new toys it takes time, and its perhaps fair to say that because of JS’s inherent sophistication, complexity and versatility its gonna take more time than most. And you haven’t owned it nearly long enough yet! :smiley: