i7 2600k and ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z

Is this combo any good for Cubase ???

Am I looking at the right model?

I was looking at the same CPU and mobo myself. The Z68 platform is very interesting being able to use the SSD system drive as a “Cache” for another mechanical drive you may have in your PC.

I just ordered the i7 2600k with the P8Z68-V Pro board, so will report back when it is up and running (should be this weekend. I got a 256k SSD drive for system files and another 128k SSD for the cache. I will use this to cache 2 2 TB WD Balck Caviar 7200 RPM Sata 3 drives. This sucker should fly! :sunglasses:

Looking forward to your response. I do hope your SSDs turn out to be a little larger than 128k & 256k though - 128Gb & 256Gb I think!!! :wink:

D’OH!!

These two perform like two brother playing together a handy game. They support each other very well.

Okay, I spent the weekend building my Daw and getting everything loaded and up and running (DAW details in my signature). I use the 128 Gb SSD for OS and apps, and the 256 for most critical and resource intensive samples (like the Superior 2 drums), a WD Black Caviar for samples, the other for multitrack audio files and the 750 Gb drive for final mixes.

First, let me say that the implementation fo the use of the SSD as a cache for an HDD is seriously flawed. For some unknown reason, you can only use this if the OS is on a HDD, not on an SSD. This has no bearing on whether the OS drive is part of the caching scheme or not. This makes absolutely no sense- if you are building a high performace PC, why would you want your OS on a HDD if you are willing to pay for an SSD? So the feature which is the reason I bought the board is unusable.

Having said that, the DAW is extremely fast and so far, very stable, though I have only used it for about 6 hours without a huge number of tracks. It runs Superior Drummer with huge kits and multiple instruments in Kontakt 5 without breaking a sweat. It’s still a great board without the SSD caching, though I am still disappointed.

I just did the same thing, same board and SSD’s, 2700k processor, but i’m finding my CPU is really jumpy and uses about 40% more CPU that my last rig which was 2 years old… did you experience a jumpy CPU meter?

Try turning off hyperthreading.

Thanks Jarno, i did that, made very little difference. I’m a bit stumped, upgraded and the performace is worse than the older slower system. (RME Pcie Multiface card is my interface). Anyone have any other tips i can try?

Have you turned off all power-saving options on BIOS steup (including speed stepping / C1E)?

Is there any other major differences between you previous and new setup? (OS, antivirus software, wireless devices)

I clicked 'Activate Steinberg Audio Power" and my CPU meter bowed to me like a young Jedi and dropped off 20 or 30% of CPU. I had played with this switch before during my troubleshooting, but anyway, it has done the trick, i can run back to 64 samples latency with my PCIe RME card, all good now. (my CPU is the 2700k).

I did not turn off any power saving features, in fact i’ve clocked it up via the ASUS AI Suite within windows and its quite happy at 4.1 at around 60deg with Zalmann air Cooling. I’ll report in more findings as i make music for a living everyday on this rig, but this seems to be a good platform for Cubase and its good bang for buck. SSD for os and another SSD for sample libraries has made a nice workflow improvement.

This should be equivalent to turning off some power saving options on your PC’s BIOS setup (C1E, if I’m not mistaken). But still it may be smart move to turn these off in BIOS too.