ICON QCon Pro X & XS now Catalina (&Big Sur beta) compatible

I’ve had a Pro X and Pro XS midi controller setup for a little while and have been happy with it. Earlier problems about consistent MIDI connectivity have gone, either through firmware upgrades or my changes to the physical connections to my computers or a combination of both.

I recently received email notification from ICON that their MIDI mapping software was now compatible with Catalina. It is indeed compatible and what was exciting for me was that they have upgraded the firmware for both units to v 2.03 - installation was flawless. I have occasionally over the last several months checked the ICON website for notifications of firmware upgrades but haven’t seen any; only when I upgraded firmware through iMap did I see the new version. This is just a heads up to any other ICON users on Mac who may not have received an email or be unaware of the Catalina compatibility.

I’m very happy now with the QCon setup which has developed into a rock solid, reliable (fingers crossed) and enjoyable hands-on way of interacting with Cubase.

Steve.

Title edited 16.09.20 to reflect compatibility with Big Sur beta

Does it fix the issue with dropped pan pot events when changing direction of the turn?

And where did you get it? Qcon Pro X | iCON Pro Audio still have 2.02 firmware and imap for mac is still in beta.

Pan pots: no problem on my machine, can change directions and the QCon responds and stays responsive.

On the QCon ProX page, download the QCon ProX and ProXS iMap MacOs version 2.28 (it’s a point ahead of the Windows version now). It was only when I ran this and launched the firmware updater that I was offered 2.03 as the latest version.

It’s compatible with Catalina but initially the installer gives the message that it is from an unknown or untrusted developer. Do the usual thing of going to system settings - security&privacy - general (straight away, don’t wait or the following option disappears) and you can then unlock your security settings and give access to the installer.

I’m beginning to think the biggest impact on the stability of the QCon my end was finding the correct usb3/usb C slot to connect it to my machine.

Steve.

Tnx. However the pots are not fixed 2.03. You can test this with moving the pot one step clockwise, and then one step counter clockwise and repeat that and watch your balance value.

I see what you mean.

I’m not sure I see this as something that needs a fix; the pots are continuous controllers and don’t come with numerical values around the pot. TBH I look at the value in the Cubase mixer anyway; there’s no way I could remember the number of steps I have physically moved the pots.

Steve.

It very much need. When you move a knob, and move it back you should get back where you stated. Mackie does this right, and the their older models too. And there is no reason what so ever not to get it right. And for thinks with pages like the MCU usage in cubase it is essential to get a consistent behaviour. You have the tactile feedback, you should not need to look at the displays.

Okay, I’ve played about a bit more. If I turn any number of clicks to the right/left, then the same number of clicks back, I end up with centre pan which was where I started. I agree with you that each ‘click’ of the continuous controller doesn’t smoothly go through 1 degree increments, but the clicks in both direction do balance on my machine. The pan LCD display of the QCon is about 1 inch away from the knob I’m turning, so I can’t help but see the pan value each time I turn the knob.

Steve.

You have to do one-cw, one-ccw, one-cc, one-ccw etc.

I agree that the pots don’t respond too great. Especially when you do accelerated turns to both sides you notice that you end up somewhere in the pan spectrum that you did not expect. It looks like the tracking of the midi information with the physical rotation is badly implemented.
I also have a Steinberg cc121 which does this much better but the absolute best response I get from my old TASCAM US2400 for panning. When I turn those knobs it always remembers me how I hate stepped encoders in the first place.