iCON QCon Pro X

Any one out there using Cubase 12 with iCON QCon Pro X or any of it’s siblings.
Thoughts, ideas, tips?

The “pots” on Pro are buggy. They have a dent, but you can not count them and get back so you need to look at the display number to get back.

1 Like

I’ve been using a Pro X with one ProXS module for the last couple of years. The Qcon software has got better and more reliable over time and both units (touch wood) have worked reliably and consistently for me. I probably don’t use them to their fullest extent, but there are some functions which are invaluable. At the moment I’m really enjoying the ability to try out different arrangements on the fly by using the rows of mute buttons - something not achievable without a control surface. I felt like I was taking a risk when I bought these units because the reviews were mixed but I’m very glad I did.

There’s a Cubase user who has posted some Youtube videos about using the Qcon Pro and Pro XS with Cubase which have some good practical suggestions for dealing with any issues that may arise when setting them up (search for Moonhare Studio).

Steve.

Confirmed. The indentations suggest individual numerical increments but they are not; you need to look at the Cubase display for confirmation of e.g. how much panning you’ve applied, as Cubace says.

Steve

1 Like

Thanks for the insight.
I bought a prox and proxs to try and replace my old DM4800.
Kinda like apples and oranges but we will see.
Uing Presonus Quantum with Focusrites for 24 in.

Let us know how you get on; I’ve just bought a new control plate for the Pro X for Logic (which my son uses) and I’ll see how it works with that DAW.

Steve.

waiting for sonar samplitude and reaper plates.
So far I like it wish master meter would work.

I have an Icon Platform M+ but have little doubt this is the same implementation of dents as the Pro X. The underlying mechanism at work here is related to “rate of turn” - discovered this when writing my Icon Platform M+ script for the midi remote. The underlying MIDI event will translate to a range of 0-7 depending on how fast you turn the encoder and the direction (it’s a relative value encoding). Turn slow you get small increments, turn fast you get large - well almost. Turns out some interpretations of this value in Midi Remote at least always scale as expected - incrementing a fine and large range parameter like fader volume or EQ gain will tend to step 1 dB in Cubase when turned one dent at a time but if you turn it slightly faster you get <1dB, more again < 1db: That initial drop with increased speed is to say the least annoying - I’ve not been able to figure out why and judging by the MIDI being transmitted by the Icon it’s something to do with it rather than with Cubase.
In short then the dents mean absolutely nothing, they are just a tactile feedback - what matters is the rate of turn, and yes it does behave a bit off a lower rate of turn.

As an aside, the Icon Platform M+ Midi Remote should in part work with the Icon QCon Pro X since it is all based on MCU (indeed any MCU based controller). So if you want to make a more customised experience feel free to pilfer the code and/or reach out to collaborate on this.

1 Like

Unfortunately the bugs in ProX is more severe. They don’t handle direction change properly and miss events. (on midi level) And the bug is very present on slow turns. How bad the QAM decoder is on fast turns I dont know and it rarely works. I think on ProX have same feature aggregating events. I think it originate back to the original MCU.

ouch - that sounds much more annoying. It’s probably firmware fixable - did you check if there is a firmware update (been a few for the Icon Platform M+)?

I think so too. I have reported this a long time ago and had some argument with their support and they will not fix it. They even tried to convince me that it is good thing.
(And it not solved in firmware version 2.0.7beta.)
If something they convinced me to never buy a Icon product. (Not for the bug, but for the support)

1 Like

Hey, that sounds disappointing. I was thinking about switching to Cubase and buying the Pro X, but it seems like that’s not a good idea? Any recommendations for daw controllers in the same price range that work better with Cubase?

I think the ProX now is discontinued.

Still units around to be bought, and it works great for me with the expander, but it may be reaching then of its shelf life …

They have newer model. v1m. And there is also SSL uf1 + uf8 that is in same price range. The SSL version is relying on software on the host so it will not be as long lasting as any MCU will be.