Iconica Ensembles sale. Still not interesting with #dorico?

Everything is in the title. 66% is a huge discount but… is it worth it (while we wait for NotePerformer 4)?

1 Like

Only the “Ensembles” is discounted. There’s no individual instruments, just … ensembles… of brass, woodwind, strings; and mixtures thereof.

“Sections and Players” is still £687, and that’s what you’d want to use with Dorico.

I’m waiting for NP4 before buying anything else.

2 Likes

Yup, me too. And, to be honest, with the libraries I’ve already amassed it’s going to take a heck of lot to persuade me to buy yet more of them even after NP4 is released.

There’s a lot of faith being heaped onto NP4. I’m sure it’ll be good but I find I’m tempering my own expectations on the grounds that whatever it’s introducing will be a start, not an end. Ideally I’d like to see them doing for Big Bands what they’re doing for Classical Ensembles but I suspect that won’t be happening any time soon.

3 Likes

Without knocking the Iconica software in any way, it is not really designed to work with Dorico (or any notation problem). Iconica is geared primarily to DAW users.

1 Like

exactly – ensembles are of no real use in notation software (and arguably of no use at all other than for the lazy but I can see the other side).
Don’t really understand what NotePerformer 4 has to do with anything in this context, other than the fact many of will be interested in seeing what it brings to the table.

1 Like

Thanks gentlemen,
That is what I thought this morning when I received the promotional e-mail.
We are expecting NotePerformer 4 to bring the spund quality to the next level — its musicality was already unbeat, but the inherent quality of the timbers leaves some room for improvement.

2 Likes

exactly! I have to say in many contexts, I find the NP strings pretty unbearable – the brass and upper woodwind can be quite good. Arne has said there’ll be a focus on timbre with the next version and I suspect that’s why there’s so much interest in it. I’d be astonished if purely on a level of instrumental realism that NP4 will get close to the top sample libraries but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

2 Likes

Me, too. I did the 30-day trial of Ensembles. They sound great, but, in my opinion, are only practical for use in DAW composition- not notation software.

1 Like

When asked by a user, if NP4 will be able to realise broadcast ready mock-ups, he said that in could (in his opinion)… that lets me dream.

It looks as though the sale of Iconica opus is now being way more interesting with the new NotePerformer playback engine… Anyone has really tried this? How does it compare to Synchron Prime through NotePerformer?

I tried linking it up. Accents in the trumpet really hit harder than NP’s traditional sounds and I don’t think Iconica has solo strings, so my string quartet defaulted to the original NP sounds as well.

1 Like