Iconica / HALion - Multiple instruments on one track

In Cubase 10, I can setup a Kontakt track instrument with multiple Spitfire instruments each set to the same MIDI channel, using Spitfire’s UACC keyswitch protocol. This provides all the keyswitches for each loaded instrument. And when one plays, only the keyswitch selected instrument sounds. So in effect you get all the articulations loading on a single Cubase track, can use an Expression Map to select the desired articulation, and only that selected articulation will play.

I’m trying to understand if this is possible with Iconica and HALion 6? I’ve tried different approaches, but thus far have not been successful. Perhaps I’m missing the obvious? I have loaded for example, Iconica’s Flute 1 Dynamics, Shorts and Longs instruments into three layers in a HALion Program. I can set unique keyswitches for each instrument, I can get Cubase to pull in the correct KeySwitch info to make an Expression Map. But since each layer is set to the same MIDI channel, all three instruments sound at the same time (based on the last keyswitch set for each instrument). Clearly, one could set independent MIDI channels for each layer/instrument. But then I end up with a Cubase track for Dynamics articulations, another track for Short articulations and a third track with the Long articulations. Is there a way to set this up so there’s only one Cubase track, that contains all the Flute 1 articulations from the Dynamics, Shorts and Longs instruments - and will only play the selected articulation? That way, the music can be written on a single Cubase track, and an Expression Map can be used to switch articulations. I have ok knowledge of HALion, but am not an expert. Perhaps there’s an easy solution to this and I’m missing the obvious.

one could set independent MIDI channels for each layer/instrument.

If you did this then could you not set your expression map to send the keyswitch with both the channel you want and the key you want for the channel?

Yes - that would keep it on one Cubase track. Not quite what I had in mind, but an approach that would work.

Sorry I took 4 years to catch up with you on this! I’ve set mine up to work on the same channel by adding a “dummy” keyswitch (i.e. one which selects an empty cell) to each of the original patches (shorts, longs and dynamics). Then from the expression map, I send the dummy keyswitches for the two patches I want to mute, along with the “real” keyswitch for the patch I want to play.