Iconica Sketch Bug

Hallo Leute,
ich habe in Dorico ein Problem mit Iconica Sketch. Ich schreibe eine Partitur für ein großes Orchester mit mehr als 30 Spielern. Ich benutze die Wiedergabevorlage Iconica Sketch, und am Anfang war auch alles gut, aber nach kurzer Zeit haben alle Instrumente die über „Built-In“ laufen ein Problem mit dem Sound. Diese Instrumente spielen dann nur noch Staccato Noten obwohl sie teilweise legato spielen sollten. Das kann ich auch nicht ändern, indem ich das Programm neu öffne oder die Datei neu lade. Auch das ändern des Instrument bringt nichts. Es hilft nur wenn ich die Wiedergabevorlage neu lade, aber dann sind auch alle Einstellungen weg, und nach kurzer Zeit entsteht das Problem wieder neu. Ich hatte mich so auf die neuen Instrumente gefreut, aber jetzt kann ich sie leider nicht nutzen…
Ich brauche dringend eure Hilfe!
Vielen Dank im Voraus,
Julius

Julius, if you could please mention, which iPad model you are using.
There is a limit and only a few newer iPads can deal with the Iconica library.

iPad Air 5.th Generation

I’m sorry to hear about your problem. Is the issue that the playback system is becoming overloaded and you’re getting drop-outs? Or does it appear to be that Dorico is no longer choosing the correct playing techniques?

If you’re experiencing drop-outs, try increasing the buffer size on the Play page of Preferences.

If you’re finding that Dorico is choosing the wrong playing techniques, please attach the project here and let me know where in the project the articulations are playing incorrectly.

Die Spieltechnik ist immer falsch, bei allen Instrumenten die unter Built-In sind.

Have you tried playing it from the start? I might have faced a similar problem yesterday when using different articulations in the strings. When starting to play in between, it sounded like the last used playing technique was applied. So I work around this by starting at a point when playing techniques get assigned for all instruments - it worked for me when starting at measure 1.

Die Datei ist zu groß zum Hochladen. Hier ist ein Cloudlink zur Datei:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i83RtmemPkMMdC--s5OiQrwpbHwYwdip

Yes, I tried.

Thanks for attaching the project, Julius. Could you also export an audio file via the Share sheet and provide a link to that, so I can hear how your project plays back on your device? (Check that the playback of the audio file matches what you are hearing in direct playback as well, of course.)

Unfortunately I don’t have an iPad with sufficient RAM to be able to open this project on an iPad myself, but I can of course listen to your project on my Mac, so being able to compare against what you are hearing on your iPad would be very helpful.

Ok, the playback file is in the cloud too

I cut your project down to just the wind and brass so that I could play it back on my iPad Air, and when I reset the playback template to use Iconica Sketch, I find that I get legato playback as I would expect.

Did you set up the playback routing of your project manually in Play mode, rather than going to Reset Sounds and tapping the Use Iconica Sketch button? I presume you must have done, since the symptom you’re describing sounds like Dorico doesn’t know how to access the different playing techniques in the library, which are all determined by the expression map associated with each instrument.

If you use Reset Sounds to re-apply the Iconica Sketch playback template, does that help?

Ja, wenn ich Sound zurücksetze klicke, ist alles wieder normal. Allerdings möchte ich sowohl die Built-In Sounds verwenden als auch die Sounds von Halion Sonic. Ist das nicht möglich?

The Built-in device is the HALion device, so you don’t need to do any manual adjustments.

Danke, ich werde es gleich mal ausprobieren und melde mich wieder wenn das Problem wieder auftritt.

Ich habe es eben nochmal getestet. Es spielt jetzt jedes Instrument wie es soll, allerdings nach einer kurzen Zeit habe ich bemerkt, dass die Streicher die Tremolos wieder mechanisch spielen, was vorher schöner klang. Und so weit ich das beurteilen kann, spielen die Streicher (vielleicht auch alle Instrumente) auf einmal alles in maximaler Lautstärke, sodass diese selbst bei pianissimo fortissimo spielen.

You’ve definitely applied the appropriate playback template, so that each of the tracks in Play mode shows the appropriate expression map chosen? Without the right expression map, Dorico can’t play dynamics properly, or indeed switch between different playing techniques and articulations.

Oh, mein Fehler. Ich änderte die Expression Map, da ich gestern festgestellt hatte, dass durch das Aktivieren der Iconica Sketch Map bei den Streichern immer irgendwelche tiefen Töne gespielt werden, obwohl sie es nicht sollten. Aber langsam verstehe ich wie das alles zusammenhängt, danke! Sollte dann beim ändern der Expression Map wieder der alte Fehler auftreten, melde ich mich nochmal.

Es funktioniert jetzt alles wie es soll. Vielen Dank!

The Built-in device is the HALion device, so you don’t need to do any manual adjustments.

Oh! That ties a loose thread in my understanding.
The way the samples get chosen is on ipad capability? I have a 1tb 16gb m1 ipad pro and no way do the gm sounds of the Halion set sound 16bit. I’d eat my hat if those aren’t 24bit samples. But maybe technology has finally surpassed my ears, possible.

Is my current understanding of where ipad dorico ends and pro starts correct:
- playback templates created on pro can be used as projects on an ipad?
- playback template creation not possible on ipad (stubbed out in jump bar).
- Expression maps available with a stock iconica install on ipad are the only ones available by default?
- Expression maps by default, limited to whats in the dropdown (in the cogwheel settings)?
- Expression maps are saved at the project level, so when a new project is saved in Dorico ipad, the expression maps created with that project get saved as well.
- so theoretically I should be able to create an empty project on the ipad with all my instruments and effects pre-assigned, get it setup looking nice etc and save the otherwise empty project as more or less my own project template for NEW compositions only?
- what happens when I import music xml? Could I use my blank project templated created above to import into? Or am I limited to a baked-in object that gets spawned during import, and can’t be changed?

You cannot transfer a playback template from the desktop version to the iPad. You can’t create playback templates or expression maps in Dorico for iPad, but as you rightly say, expression maps are saved in projects, so any expression map that is saved in a project that starts life in the desktop version will be present when you open that project in Dorico for iPad.