Idiotic solution to an irritating problem

Like many users I have been plagued by the Asio meters going into the red problem, I have read the various posts and followed all the advice but the problem remains, although it tends to settle down after 3 or four mins with the odd clip into red.
However the other day I was converting a new track from 44.1 to 96k, and was having trouble with the Keyscapes Rhodes electric piano overloading, but when I Highlighted the sys data track the maximum value fell to next to zero and the overloading stopped !!!

Uploaded those screenshots hopefully you can see them.
I know its not a real solution to the problem but does anyone know why its happening. I do know from various other songs that highlighting Drums shows a different load as does the bass and as I’ve shown the keyscape, why does highlighting different instruments change the meters ?
Anyways hopefully someone can recreate what’s happening.

Hammy

P.S. to re-create it add a midi track and make sure its connected to nothing, the track inspector should show all midi inputs and below not connected, so you don’t need a sys data track.

The record enable follows the selected track… that could be the reason.
Try to turn it off for the MIDI tracks.

Just out of curiosity … why?

Until a couple months ago I had been out of the music scene since 2018, when I upgraded from Cubase 9 to 11. I have been experiencing worse than expected performance, even in pre-existing projects, and I was curious if 11 performs worse than earlier versions? I haven’t put this to the test, but I’ve definitely had surprising experiences with Cubase 11 where audio is popping and dropping like crazy but the Windows performance tools say the CPU utilization is only at like 30%? Years ago a heavy Cubase project could push my CPU to over 90%- but without any audible glitches.

Maybe your system is the general bottleneck?
How should we know? Without any information…

The highlighting of different tracks change the meter because the instruments on the specific tracks have a different cpu consumption. When on a track the monitoring or record is enabled that track plays in real-time and not through the asio guard. This results in a higher cpu consumption.
Turn off the automatic record enabling when selecting a track in the program settings.

Already mentioned… :wink:

1 Like

Thanx for the replies +1 for the record enabled tip, i shall implement that asap.
My system ryzen 9 3950, 128 gb 3600mhz ram, SSL Mx4/alphalink sx soundcard, 4 ssd’s, 2 nve, 2 samsung pro’s so plenty firepower, the mx4 has a 128 channel mixer built into the card so taking some of the load off Cubase.
Outsider the same here i could take my last cpu 3820 4 core to the max, thats why i upgraded to the ryzen. I have tried all the advice on the various posts about the dropout problem, cubase power scheme, asio guard high, updated bios and chipset, graphics card drivers only etc etc and the problem is still there.
Mr Soundman, i bought a new dap as i spend an hour on the bus into work read the paper and on the hour back listen to music, sometimes my own tracks to pick up little bits that i can use to improve the mix. Mp3 is finished and a lot of music is now available to stream at hi-rez, so gotta move with the times to keep getting the minimal work i get into the studio ( every man and his dog has a recording setup nowadays.)

Hammy

When you purchase wind-sports equipment they tell you what the minimum requirements are. They tell you what wind range for a given sail is given the weight and size of the user. And they will provide different wind ranges for different weights.

When you buy software, the manufacturer will advertise the system requirements, and the number of whatever system taxing instances of whatever widget is applicable to the software. There is a lot of testing that goes into figuring these things out. So the minimum requirements of a given software typically will allow for the average use of the product.

One expects the software to function for average use at only the minimum system requirements.

If there are reasons the software could fail to perform within those guidelines, then one expects the software manufacturer to have a set of troubleshooting steps to find and resolve these issues.
(within reason)

I think what is being requested is, where is that set of troubleshooting steps to find and resolve the performance issues.

I am sure Steinberg would be very unhappy with any of their employees putting the onus back onto a customer.

I know of this video which could be of some help:

it’s great advice for mixing. But in a recording or performing context there is more that can be done. Like moving inserts that are being used as Effects to a separate FX track of their own and routing the signal through them in a chain.

For finding performance issues on windows this app is the best

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

He wanted an explanation smartass

Converting a track from 44.1 to 96k does not make it “hi-rez” and technically achieves nothing other than wasting storage space, network bandwidth and electricity, however if someone wants to pay money for that, it may be hard to refuse.

1 Like