iLok Plugins Issue in Cubase 8.5 (Windows 10)

I’m not sure if that’s a Cubase issue but since I don’t have those problems in WaveLab I guess it can be.

Every time I start a project with Lexicon LXP Bundle or Lexicon MXP or sometimes Slate Digital VTM I get a message: “The licensing service required to activate this software is not running. Please reinstall the product or download and run the iLok License Manager”.

I’ll repeat I’m not 100% that Cubase is the reason, but all those plugins activate and work perfectly well 100 times out of 100 in WaveLab.

There’s a PACE process that needs to be running. It is supposed to start automatically with Windows but it doesn’t here either.

Try this:

  1. Start Task Manager
  2. Go to Services tab
  3. Sort it alphabetically and scroll down to PaceLicenseDServices - it will say stopped. Now right-click it and choose Start
  4. Do it again and again in the future until finding replacement for everything that has anything to do with ILok.

I have the PACE service is running and I even start iLok License Manager before opening Cubase.

The problem happens when I load a project containing both project data and Lexicon LXP plugins.

But that never happens in WaveLab or when I load a Cubase project with no data, just those plugins.

For now the only way around is to load an empty project with no data, only those Lexicon plugins. And then without closing it load the project with both data and plugins. That’s how it works for me.

Once again I’m not 100% sure that it is a Cubase issue but looks like that can be so. Because in WaveLab it works fine every time.

Once or twice I’ve had that issue with Slate Digital VTM too. But with Lexicon LXP it happens every time.

I’m not sure if that’s somehow related to the possible reasons but it did work!

I had some iLok plugins (Slate Digital Bundle, LXP Bundle, some Softube stuff).

All of them were first installed as trials. And after testing the trials I purchased licenses for some of the plugins.
I didn’t bother to reinstall those plugins I’ve just updated licenses (from trial to full).

But today I uninstalled all those plugins (that were trials with updated licenses) and installed them back.
And haven’t experienced that iLok issue for the rest of the day.

I’m not sure that it is somehow connected to the problem but it definitely worked for today.

I hope this info can somehow be useful.