Win or mac?
Had the same issue myself on a few projects (along with many others!)
This is what Steinberg replied to my initial support request with. I didn’t follow these steps, as the problem just stopped, but here you go.
initialise the preferences of Cubase by performing these steps:
- Close all programs.
- Open the ‘Run’ command prompt.
Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously.
- In the command line of the ‘Run’ window, enter this path: %appdata%/Steinberg
- Locate the folder which is named the same as your Steinberg program, for example ‘Cubase 8’.
- Rename it (for example to “Cubase 8 hidden”) in order to hide it from Cubase.
- Important: If you find folders of previous Cubase versions, make sure to hide or remove them, too.
Next time you start Cubase, a new folder with fresh preferences and default settings will be created - which hopefully fixes the problem you’ve experienced.
Preferences that you have grown accustomed to and that have taken a lot of time to configure - the key commands (Key Commands.xml) for instance - can be copied from the inactive folder to the newly created active preferences folder at a later point.