Imaging "c" (OS) drive - SSD or regular drive?

Hi - Computer quasi-noobie here, (more accurately, “computer-challenged individual” here), hoping someone could help out with some advice please:

I realized/remembered that my images to date have only included my D and E drives - where my audio files and programs like Cubase are. In other words, I’ve never imaged/cloned my “C” drive.

For the D and E (which are actually partitions of a single non-SSD drive), I’ve bought a 2nd identical drive, opened the tower case, connected the two drives, and used Paragon Backup and Recovery to make a bit-for-bit image clone from one to the other (via the “Copy Hard Disk” command).

My “C” drive is an SSD. Would it be ok to hook up another drive via usb and clone to it in a similar fashion? Does it need to be an identical drive? Does it need to be an SSD?

Thanks for any thoughts/help!

From the Paragon Site:

Back up files and folders, the operating system, or even your entire hard disk to any storage you choose

Some “problems” can be solved before they arise, simply by reading

Alexis,

Are you talking cloning or imaging?

Either should work, I suppose. Do you plan on disconnecting the clone disc and storing it?

Hi, thanks TEEF.

I spoke to the guy at ADK, and he suggested that since compression is ok for the OS drive, no need to do a bit-for-bit copy. Also since it will just be put away in a drawer for the next time the OS drive gets backed up, don’t need to buy an SSD.

Does that sound about right to you?

Thanks-

That sounds about right to me. I also think if you do it that way you’ll be able to do incremental and differential backups to amend your original back up. That is as your system changes, you can create additional backups that will amend the original without having to do another full backup. It’ll also give you the ability to restore at different points if you choose or need to.

Ok, thx much!

What I did:

1. Create a clone onto an identical SSD drive.
  2. Create a backup (using Paragon Backup and Recovery 14 Home), and put it on a portable (non-SDD) drive.

Thanks again!