Import Audio CD - Internet Connection Error

When I open the “Import Audio CD” dialog and a CD is loaded up, I get the error message:

“A problem with your internet connection occurred. The track info could not be updated.”

The computer is connected to the internet. Any idea why I get this error when WL tries to access FreeDB?

-bob weston
chicago

I think that this service (FreeDB) was shuttered a while back … hence the error.

freedb.org and its services was scheduled to be shut down on March 31 of 2020 so they are no longer on the WWW. FWIW

Maybe WL can look somewhere else, now? Gracenote?

bob

Years ago I requested that WaveLab add the ability to submit masters to Gracenote as well but it seems that Gracenote licensing is fairly expensive unless you’re a big company like Apple.

Maybe things have changed but Gracenote integration in both directions only makes sense for a mastering DAW.

Gracenote integration makes no sense since it is limited to it’s owners rules… and these are very restrictiv

I remember that PG mentioned the integration of a different service, but don’t know if it’s done yet…

Freedb.org has re-emerged as gnudb.gnudb.org which I have configured in the CD ripping program I use.

Paul

On new forum: CD import: freedb.org going away soon [now gone!]

I’ve just seen that also mentioned in the German forum. In Mp3Tag replace freedb.freedb.org with gnudb.gnudb.org

Titelimport CD über FreeDB klappt nicht - #3 by Marius_Torka - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums (German)

Also how to:

https://www.gnudb.org/ (English)

In Mp3Tag replace freedb.freedb.org with gnudb.gnudb.org

Seems to work with WaveLab. If confirmed, I will add this to 10.0.60

gnudb.gnudb.org does indeed appear to work with WaveLab.

As a workaround, and as proof that it does work, you could configure your local network’s DNS so that the name freedb.freedb.org resolves to the IP address of gnudb.gnudb.org.

On Windows for example, look up the current IP address of gnudb.gnudb.org:
C:> nslookup gnudb.gnudb.org
[…]
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: gnudb.gnudb.org
Address: 92.246.24.225

… then add the following line to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts:
92.246.24.225 freedb.freedb.org

Yeah, I configured my local DNS server to resolve freedb to gnudb, so Wavelab (any other software) connect to that one automatically. Works like a charm.

This is now working again (with gnudb.gnudb.org) in WaveLab 10.0.60 so the workaround is no longer necessary. Merci Philippe!

Merci Philippe ! :smiley: