Import MIDI files as separate tracks

Hi!

I’m probably not the first to ask, but the most important feature that I miss now in VST Live is the ability to import Type 1 MIDI files as separate tracks. Also, it would be nice to have a way to explode a single track to individual tracks, by MIDI channel.

As an option, Type 0 Midifiles could even be imported as multiple tracks, by channel.

Hopefully, I’m a Cubase user and I tried the Export/Import option, but is VST Live only for us?

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

Hi @Jihem,
your requests are on our list. But …

… I don’t understand it. Sorry, What do you mean?

/Michael

I meant that VST Live should be easy to use for musicians that work with another DAW. Their only way to import songs is Midifiles, but having all the tracks imported on one lane is a no-go! I guess you didn’t create this program solely for the Cubase community…

By the way, what is the oldest version of Cubase compatible with the import-export module? Does it work with Cubase Elements and Cubase AI?

… ah, now I understand you. Sure, VL should easy to use and should be useable by everyone. Your wishes are understandable, of course, and we will implement them as soon as possible.

The VST Live IO Component works for Cubase Pro, Elements, AI and LE.

/Michael.

Thank you so much for Type 1 import :blush:
You know that the more you will give, the more we’ll want ! Songs are always initialized at 120 BPM and ignore the tempo of the midifile. Of course, if tempo changes are detected in the imported file, this should automatically generate a tempo track.

The last thing I dream of is a visual improvement for imported tracks from midifiles, showing only blocks on the bars containing events, as Cubase does. I mean not only a large block from the beginning to the end of the song, but separate parts telling where events lie.

… I see. VL could show on “MIDI-Import” a dialog which is asking “Do you want to create a new Song?”. With a new song VL could import the tempo track. VL should not import a tempo track for an existing song. What do you think?

… can you help me? What do you mean? Do you have a screenshot of your descripton in Cubase?

/Michael.

It would be perfect :smiley:

This is the result of the same midifile imported in Cubase and in VL :

It’s way more readable in Cubase and parts are easy to copy, move or delete.

… ah, yes. Sure, we’ll add it,
Michael.

I use MIDI files in a different way and I would need the option of importing the detected tempo from the MIDI file for this to work. I use MIDI clock to sync all time-based effects on our outboard and to triggere patch changes and turn pages on Forscore on several iPads. I use Qlab at ehe moment, but I think VST Live might be a more visual alternative in the future.

Hi @Torbiz1,

yes, “Import of MIDI-Tempo” will coming soon!

/Michael.