Import Midi from Guitar Pro 6

Anyone using Guitar Pro 6 with Cubase 6? I am having one small issue…or at least I think I am…

When I create a track in Guitar Pro 6 and export the midi from it into Cubase 6, my notes are being imported one octave below. For example, if I have the instrument setup in GP as a B1, it imports it into Cubase 6 as a B0. I know I can simply move the whole track up an octave in Cubase, but was hoping I was just missing something. Anyone else have the same issue using this combination of software?

I use GP 6, but not to midi export (I like to use Sibelius 7 to do this). I will give a try with some of my music just to test for you.

Every instrument are octave below or just some of them?

Thanks for looking into it. I am not sure about every instrument. I did the bass and guitar. Both of them exported the midi one octave below.

I tested with a GP6 file containing 3 solo guitars, harpsichord, cello and double bass. After opening the midi in Cubase, I can see guitars and double bass one octave lower, but not the others. Maybe the reason is because guitars and double bass are transposing instruments (written one octave above the real sound).

The midi import in Cubase “reads” the actual pitch, not the written music. For example, F#4 written in guitar sheet music actually sounds F#3

I tested the same thing, opening the midi in Sibelius 7, and Sibelius automatically creates transposing tracks for guitars and double bass, but Cubase doesn´t (but in both softwares, real octave of the note is the same)

I’m using Guitar Pro 6.1.4 r11201
Cubase 6.5.1
Sibelius 7.1.2

Maybe there’s an option in the Guitar Pro Midi export settings to surpress this?

Thanks for the information. That makes sense to me. I wish it didn’t do that, but at least I can adjust accordingly…

I am using an Oxygen Axiom 49 keyboard and Trillian plugin to use as bass plugin for my imported track. That explains the problem I was having (or so I think…I spent hours trying to figure this out and was pulling my hair out and losing my mind over it). Anyway, I believe that I would play a note on my keyboard (Bb0) and it put that data on the Bb0 line. However, my imported midi note from Guitar Pro was a Bb-1. Additionally, the sound coming from imported audio would sound an octave lower, because my plugin would play back the sound according to the inputed midi data (Bb-1). Yet, when I would play a Bb0 on my keyboard and it wouldn’t line up. So, I suppose I simply have to import the data from Guitar Pro and move the entire imported track up one octave, right? That way, the notes on my keyboard (Bb0), plugin, and the imported track are all the same. Is this correct?

I couldn’t seem to find any options in Guitar Pro 6 to do this. After reading a few forums, they don’t offer this option in GP6. They used to have it in GP5, but took it out for some reason.

I just got this reponse from a person at Arobas (who makes Guitar Pro 6).

“thanks for your email. I just did a test, I created a sample test from GP6 and exported it in Midi, then I tried to open it with two different Midi reader application i downloaded for free from the net (as I do not have Cubase 6)
The file was fine and my piano score kept the right octave, that means that the file itself is well encrypted and not corrupted. So according to me, the issue comes from Cubase.
Of course you can try to do the same kind of test I just did, to compare if your file or (a new one) keeps the right octave.”

So, is this just a Cubase 6 issue then?

I don´t see this as a problem, because at the end of the day, Cubase imports the “real” octave of transposing instruments(I can comprove that). Or your file is acting different from my experience?

The problem is when you try to use this file with a VSTi that likes to make an additional octave transposition (some of double bass sounds from Sampletank free do that). In this case you will need to raise the octave from this kind of instrument (double bass, electric bass, guitars, and so on).