Important information regarding Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

thanks DaveP. This didn’t work for me cause Cubase crashes as soon as I try and open it so I can’t change settings. I recreated my aggregate device but this didn’t work either.

Hi Danny

It made my day that that has helped you - enjoy the music creation!
I did actually send this feedback to both Apple and Focusrite about 2 weeks ago and did wonder if anyone had read it.

gkillmaster, again a random thought, but have you updated your e licence software recently? I have heard this can cause issues too, might at least help you get Cubase to run.

Cheers

DaveP

thanks DaveP, did before and did just now. Still crashing. I have no idea what the issue could be. Seems like my behavior is a little different. Just to clarify, I am running Cubase Artist 8.0.3.

[quote=“DaveP”]Hi Danny

It made my day that that has helped you - enjoy the music creation!
I did actually send this feedback to both Apple and Focusrite about 2 weeks ago and did wonder if anyone had read it.

It made my month. I record a lot of stuff but my own material has been promised for a while and held up by this. I’m lucky enough to be part of a tight knit genre that actually likes new releases and supports the artists doing it (Trop-Rock) and I have been making excuses for a month now.

Seriously - I would like to do something back for you. Its good form and all… Contact me if you will. I won’t feel right until I can repay the favor to you. Wh knows, maybe you need a piano or guitar part that I can do and for some reason you can’t. Give me a listen and see. You never know. … but I am serious. Let me repay you somehow. For the record, I play and have just a bunch of instruments. It would make my day to help you back.

thanks again

May your anchor be tight, your cork be lose, your rum be spiced and your compass be true~
……………………………………………
Danny Taddei
www.dannytaddei.com
dannytaddei@gmail.com
(850) 449-6808

Sad person that I am, I just tried to decipher the crash log :smiley: . Unfortunately it does not tell a guitar player like me too much information other than Cubase is looking for something that cannot run, has been moved or something like that. The main part that I have found seems to be here -

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000011612dd98

Searching around for the SIGSEGV issue it occurs with all sorts of programs and apps and in quite a few cases doing a disc check and repairing permissions etc. seems to have helped - presumably to shuffle code in the background.

This might be worth a try and certainly will not do any harm!

I am a sad person too cause the log in meaningless to me too! thanks again. I tried to repair permissions but the whole disc utility has changed. Not sure if it changed with the beta 10.11.1 or with El Capitan release. Anyways, I ran the new first aid on the drive, searched for SIGSEGV but turned up nothing and Cubase still crashes. Thanks for the idea though. I didn’t think of repairing permissions somehow. I’m just assuming repairing permissions is part of running First Aid now…

Seems to have changed a bit according to this article -OS X: El Capitan’s Deletion of “Repair Disk Permissions” Could Impact You – The Mac Observer
Last thing I can think of to try is take out the iLok you have temporarily in case this is conflicting with the e licenser in some way.
Cheers
Dave

good thought too but didn’t work. thank you!

I really wish I could hear something from Steinberg on this! very frustrating to have no clue. I wonder if I could just remove completely and start with a fresh install. Wonder if it would be worth the trouble to try this.

When you fresh install you have to manually take out all your pref files and you’ll lose all your settings. You’ll likely need to update your elicenses as well. Just a heads up. I’ve been down that route.

May your anchor be tight, your cork be lose, your rum be spiced and your compass be true~
……………………………………………
Danny Taddei
www.dannytaddei.com
dannytaddei@gmail.com
(850) 449-6808

Seriously thinking of getting out of the Cubase boat at this point. Not only can I not open Cubase, but I can’t download the 8.0.3 update any more. I’ve tried on my laptop as well as my desktop and my downloads end up being 4.11 gigs instead of 9.2 that it states online when I download. It just stops. Its not my hardware, I know that. I’ve tried downloading several times on each machine. My new macbook and my 2012 iMac i7 and have the same results. When I try and mount the 4.11 gig download it says: “Image: Cubase_Artist_8_installer_mac.dmg; Reason: no mountable file systems.” Once again, this is only with this Cubase Artist 8.0.3 update from the mySteinberg site. WTF?

Can anyone from Steinberg please please respond to this? Give me some indication wether this is a known thing and perhaps a rough guess about the time there might be an update to get me back working?

why is it that no one from Steinberg has responded and given any information directly to this thread. Is this the way it is here?

Well, El Capitan is an unsupported operating system for the time being and this has been stated prior to its release. The recommendation to stay on Yosemite remains valid.
The 8.0.30 update download is around 600 MB and can be downloaded here: Cubase 8 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg
There is no need to download a complete installer as I assume that you have received one with the initial update purchase.

Does release of 10.11.1 changed anything regards compatibility?

Aloha m,

I would say probably not.
In any event, best to wait till Oct 23 for the ‘official’ word from Steiny.

Won’t be long now.

And BTW,
Keep in mind that it is not just Cubase.
If you are using any 3rd party software (plugs, FX, tools, drivers etc),
also check to make sure that stuff is compatible with ‘The Captain’.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

thanks Ed. I was trying to do a full install on a laptop that still has Yosemite on it and doesn’t have Cubase installed yet. I appreciate the response.

I didn’t know that there was going to be an announcement tomorrow. So thanks @curteye. All my plugins (and I have a lot!) work at this point in 10.11.1. As do Bitwig and Studio One 3.

@m3t4L_m4n 10.11.1 hasn’t fixed my problem of Cubase Artist crashing before it opens.

Thanks for heads-up. Hope we’ll find out more later today.

So??? :slight_smile:

Please see our new statement on this: Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Any estimation about the time needed to have a compatible version?
Thanks