Importing audio into Dorico

I use the Transcribe! application. Transcribe! - software to help transcribe recorded music

It is stand-alone, but I can be rather productive using it side-by-side with Dorico. One of the cool features is that it can support a foot controller designed for stenographers and court reporters.

I suppose in a perfect world, all that functionality would be found in an audio track within Dorico.

However, I’m not sure how practical that would be. In nearly 100% of the cases when I have used Transcribe!, my Dorico score was not linear. that is to say, my Dorico score ended up with repeats, DS and codas. I don’t know how an MP3 file could be mapped to the Dorico score in those cases.

And then there would also be the issue of tempo mapping. Cubase has some powerful capabilities for setting the tempo track to correspond to recorded audio, but it is a rather tedious process. I think I’d be just as happy remaining with the stand-alone Transcribe! product.

I’d sure love to see Dorico support the foot controller, regardless of support for audio files. These controllers are very handy. They usually have three pedals. The main (center) pedal plays from the previous starting point. The right pedal plays from the last ending point. The left pedal resets the cursor to the current location. This could map directly to existing Dorico playback commands.

Here’s a typical product:
https://www.stenograph.com/infinity-3-foot-pedal-kit-46600

I think that using a standalone application side-by-side with Dorico makes most sense for transcribing, as I find it is more helpful to have the playback controllable independently of the score. Although most DAWs can do this, I use Reaper. It is lightweight and extremely customizable. I tempo-map the audio, one can vary the playback speed and/or pitch if needed, and the transport can be controlled by nearly any MIDI device you can think of (pedals included). You just need to program it to recognize the commands. And thanks for the idea of the stenographer pedal, @cparmerlee. Here’s a bit about my transcription process if anyone cares to read more: tips for an accurate piano transcription — Steve Aho Music
However, as the original poster of this thread, I believe that there is a genuine need for real audio importing into Dorico when arranging. When creating arrangements that will go on top of existing audio, such as a string part that will go over a pop song, it can be quite helpful to hear Dorico’s playback on top of the existing audio. Right now, the only way to do this involves the various workarounds previously discussed in this thread—all of which are pretty awkward and imprecise.

3 Likes

the workaround with the video if you need a music sample inserted within Dorico is fine.

My question: is there a default setting which prevents the video-window been showed every time when you open the file?

and by the way:
the possibility to insert a music sample is really important. If you need a special sound (in my example a rainstick) and you need to share the Dorico file, you don’t want to always install a new PlugIn for every new sound because evrybody involved into the project has to install the plugin then…

1 Like

I can definitely see a workflow to export certain audio from Dorico back into Dorico as a “frozen” track or whatever. Then you could send the project to someone on Dorico Elements or IPad to rehearse. Or use regular Dorico to collaborate with someone else but they don’t have or want your libraries - they’re just adding or arranging a different part.

IM and ask me for a rainstick. Maybe I can build one for you that works in HALion which you could share with your project.

Installing it for your collogues would be simple provided they have HALion Sonic SE installed. They’d simply double click the library (vstsound) file before loading the project.

Hi!

What about using XML from Dorico to Cubase/Nuendo etc and back?
Many way’s to skin a cat :wink:

regards S-EH

I second this. Guitar Pro implementation is absolutely great. I always need to transcribe recorded music with lots of tempo and time signature changes and Guitar Pro is great for that.

Hey Brian,
you would really do that?
Of course that would be great. Wow !!! :smile:

I’ll certainly see what I can do. I ask for a Private Message to discuss where samples would come from and such.

I.E. Should I use samples you’ve made yourself and sent me, or will they come from some existing library? If they come from a library, It’ll need to be one that you have legit rights to use and share. Etc…

Main thing is being careful that whatever sounds you ‘share’ with others don’t belong to someone else without proper permission.

In some cases I can personally make, or help find samples that are safe to share. IE, someone once asked for Dorico/HALion a native Crotale set and I was able to put one together in a few minutes (Freebie Crotale’s for HALion). It’s not great, but then again it didn’t take long to do and it’s better than nothing for a price of (time to download and try it out).

Occasionally people ask for minor tweaks to HALion sounds like extending ranges of instruments and whatnot. All things that are pretty easy in the full version of HALion 6. I’ll do that for users here on the forums as well if time permits.

In so far as triggering samples using HALion SE, this might be of interest to some users (just ran across it today and have not tried it yet. No idea how ‘long’ the samples can be, but might be worth checking out!):

Hey Brian,…sorry for the late answer…I have a very sharp deadline and I found another solution…so thanx again for your great proposal.

Any news on this feature? This is definitely a must have.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum pavgekko - as far as I know, there have been no changes for video/audio importing.

Also waiting for this, especially if the audio can play on the iPad version as well it will be amazing. That’s the main reason I still use Guitar Pro, which although it’s great with guitar / bass, it’s not as convenient for other instruments (drums / piano) in comparison to Dorico and their iPad app is just horrible. The other reason is that I really like the smooth playhead movement of guitar pro but that’s not important at all

2 Likes

Is audio import available in Dorico 5 now?

Only when attached to a video.

So the trick is to create a video and attach the audio to it.
There’s another problem I have encounter arranging to audio or transcribing, live played pieces change tempo almost every bar. In guitar pro I can create Sync-points and synchronise audio to the bars. One bar might be 134 bpm, next 132.5 etc… is there a way to do this in Dorico 5 for an audio attached to video?

1 Like

There’s no good way to create a tempo map in real time in Dorico, e.g. by tapping along with the soundtrack of the video, though we do plan to add features along those lines in future.

However, if you have another application that’s capable of creating a tempo map in this (or another way) and can also export that tempo map as a MIDI file, you can import that tempo map into your Dorico project, which will reproduce all the required tempo changes.

4 Likes

Still no audio import?..I was trying to fake it and to export audio into some video format, but it doesn’t work…Wich format would Dorico able to use? Do I have to create a fake video in order to use audio with Dorico?

Yes, you do.

1 Like