Importing from a DAW into Dorico

I’m looking into getting Dorico but need to know how well it imports files from DAWs like Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc. Here’s my situation: My brother and I collaborate on songs. I have a music degree and knowledge of music theory. He is a performer and writer who plays by ear and has little music theory training. Our desire is to have him be able to play (keyboard) into a something requiring less music theory (my thought is for him to play into some program like those listed above-but if you have a better suggestion, I’m all ears–and for him to send me the file and me to import it into a notation program so we can submit it to various folks for them to perform. So how is Dorico at importing files from other programs and is it via XML, MIDI or what? Thanks in advance for any help!

Pretty sure Dorico does not have quantizing yet. You’d have to do that in a DAW before importing MIDI into Dorico. (Since DAW’s normally have better quantizing options than notation programs like Finale or Sibelius, that is probably just as well.)

I do this in all kinds of settings with all kinds of music.
I find it quicker always to print a score from the DAW and to input it from scratch into a notation app.
Otherwise too much time fiddling to fix things that would have only taken a second to input and dealing with unexpected crap.

I’ve done this too - in general it’s best to quantize any notes in the DAW to the extent possible, then import the midi into Dorico, and then look at what you’ve got.

If it’s a total mess, better to start afresh inputting notes, using the correct instruments etc.

If it seems manageable, you might try to fix bad notes. For playback purposes (and check whether your transcription in Dorico is correct) you’ll still want to use new staffs. That is at least how it works in Sibelius.

If you have a lot of time signature / tempo changes, you’ll want to keep those in, and then just fix the notes (not start afresh). This is specific for film music where the midi mockup / temp tracks have to be tightly synced with whatever you orchestrate, or chaos will occur during the recording session.

My preferred way of getting realtime keyboard playing into notation (Dorico) is to record in any DAW, maybe quantize it roughly, then hand the midi file over to ‘Notation Composer’ and let that do its magic. (the logic it employs to maintain voice leading between the hands, avoiding a fixed split point etc. is amazingly good) Then export MusicXML for Dorico to finalize.

There is also Overture, now sort of a DAW/Notation hybrid. It’s buggy, but its realtime midi transcription is pretty good. It also exports MusicXML…