importing Kontakt files (.nki) into HALion 4.5

I am trying to import some Kontakt 4 .nki files from a magazine DVD into HALion 4.5 to no avail. They play back fine in the free N.I. Kontakt Player but not HALion 4.5 (currently being sold for £284 in the Steinberg Shop!). I get a red “no entry” sign when I browse to them using the HALIon browser. This is rubbish!

Hi there,

have you tried to copy the whole Kontakt preset and samples to your HDD and then tried to load the preset?

Cheers,

Marcus

Yes.

Although my profile says “Junior member”, I’m not a newcomer to Cubase. I’ve been using it since the Atari days. And HALion, since inception.

Hi there,

normally there should not be any issue, I am working all the day with Kontakt libraries in my HALion 4.5

So in which magazine are these presets, can you PM me with further information?

I will take a look…

Cheers,

Marcus

Perhaps HALion 4.5 needs updating as according to the manual, HALion 4 can import “NI Kontakt 1.x to 4.1 (except for encrypted files, scripted files, and containers)”. Kontakt 4 is on version 4.2.4 so files saved in that presumably won’t work in HALion 4.5.

Marcus, please check PMs

Hi there,

I have already checked the sample- containers and they are not compatible with the HALion 4.5.
These NKI are not supported, sorry to say.

Cheers,

Marcus

Will these problematic files become compatible through a future update? Files like these could creep up more and more and it would be nice to know they can be used in Halion.

Kontakt moved to a binary file format after 4.1, and NI have not opened that up to any 3rd parties as of yet despite requests, so it would seem unlikely.

This is correct as far as I know.

Cheers,

Marcus