Improve Pitch and Time Stretch Algorithms in Sampler Track

Steinberg definitely need to improve his Pitch and Time Stretch Algorithms when using Sampler Track… it is incredible that a software as professional as Cubase sounds super bad in its Sampler Track application in this aspect or when using the glide /legato modes, and that a software not as professional as FL Studio, sounds totally incredibly good and clean when using its sampler track!.. How is this possible? considering the Steinberg technologies and the so many developers working on it? as well as the elevated prices?

6 Likes

+1
I also noticed, that - if playing around with extreme stretching values - the sampler track sounds not just bad but also seems to struggle technically, the playback stutters or the sound is weird etc.

2 Likes

It is not only for Sample Track, it sounds absolutely bad also in other stretching/pitch applied on audio tracks in project window/audio editor.
The algorithms sounds bad, totally unusable for me, it recall me the nineties age.
You mention FL, I add Logic Pro that sounds awesome and recently I test Studio One that give other great results.

I dont know why the so called “user reference” does not request a serious update for the algorithms, but I think that all pro users in this community must request seriously this.
Steinberg do something please

5 Likes

I share the same feeling… I really hope Steinberg pays attention to this, they are lagging behind the competition in this specific aspect and honestly with all the money we pay to have Cubase updated and the effort we make investing on it, being hundreds of users, I think it’s an issue that should be addressed…

Yes Cubase is PRO, but not in this aspect…

5 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

I’m sure to be wrong, but I thought they all used the same ‘elastique’ (Pro or variants) algorithm for this job…?

Forgive me, I’m only a ‘light’ time-stretch user. Am only really making use of the ‘Solo’ algorithm in VariAudio mostly.

For small amounts of (polyphonic) stretch - drum loops or musical loops - I seem to get acceptable results with the MPEX Poly musical setting. But that’s not what’s being talked about here, is it…?

So, could someone post a quick example or two comparing Cubase and FL Studio (which I don’t have) please…? Start with original then stretched etc…

Finally, is nobody seeing any difference with the various other (MPEX/elastique) stretch algorithms available in Cubase…?

1 Like

I will do the examples in the next week when I get the time to do it so…

In the meantime, stumbled on some other food for thought, with sound samples…

In the meantime, stumbled on some other food for thought, with sound samples…
ZTX vs. Elastique AKA Digital Performer vs. THE WORLD.

Interesting. The comparison is with ZTX by Zynaptic (implemented in Digital Performer).

And it’s stated on Zynaptic’s homepage that this is quick to implement too, so implemention should be mostly a matter about licensing costs, not development resources:

ZTX is a powerful tool for C/C++ developers that integrates seamlessly with all modern APIs and audio applications. In most cases, you should be able to get its functionality implemented into your app within 1-2 days.

http://www.zynaptiq.com/ztx/

1 Like

Bad joke, but then it is not made for Steinberg :smiling_imp:

1+

The Sampletrack is a joke with this Algorithm.
It sound sooooo bad on low frequency like 808. i always compared it with the Qsampler in logic or with the serato sampler or the new Sampler CR8 from waves. All sound good except the sampletrack.

Pls fix this!!!

Hi @Puma0382 , exactly the questions i was wondering about.

(+)1 and thank you!

The only kind of usefull algorithm is the “elastique pro pitch” but still needs improvement

I can only agree with OP. The time stretch algorithms available in the sampler track sound outdated.

CR8 quickly became the sampler I wished the sampler track lived up to.

The sampletrack need more love from steinberg. First of all the gui looks ugly.
The graphic guy at steinberg should be fired for this. Its 2022 and it looks like 2008.

It needs auto Note detection. I was hoping they added some features from backbone too.
It needs multi sample support.
Better timestretch algorithm so we can warp 808.
And why is the sampletrack not connected to the mediabay? It would be smart when it open the sample located in the mediabay and not in the finder. Replacing drum hits would be much easier.

Actually, Steinberg has implemented ZTX - for WaveLab.

There’s an array of other algorithms too out there, but I have no idea which one is actually the best.

Hi guys,

I understand that products need to be trimmed down in order to make users consider the above versions but I can’t understand the time stretch algorithm limitation.

Almost all free/lite versions of any current DAW has a decent algorithm and yet Cubase provides us with “Standard” for LE, AI and Elements.

I really wonder what is the point of this. If someone is new to Cubase and receives a license for LE/AI, they’ll think “Hmm…Cubase sounds like garbage.” and if someone straight up buys Elements they’ll also have a rough surprise.

Users can still time stretch their audio in any other free/lite DAW and import back into Cubase, it’s just an extra step. Even Steinberg offers this possibility since Sequel 3 has Elastique and it is free!

I can only see drawbacks regarding this business decision. Please consider unlocking Elastique for all tiers.

Please make proper Pitch automaitons and Resample mode (for example, -12 semitones means that audio sample rate shifts from 48000 to 24000, also making the audio 2 times longer, without any stretching)