Improvement ideas Cubase 6.5

I agree with point 4, it would be good if the key edit Controller entry worked like the main page automation, so a line is a line. These mass of dots tend to frustrate me as well, as nearly all these types of entries are linear fades, so yes - lines not dots please - it is a line tool - so I expect to see a line.

Point 3, I can see why this is a problem, as I have found that by the time you get to 50 or so tracks going, your feed to the master channel can creep up, and if you use a non floating point plug in (like Powercore ones) you will clip them. If I only get minor overs, I use the UAD Precision Limiter first in line in the master channel, to ensure the level doesn’t clip, or if there is a rather over zealous level, I use the master level control at the top of the master channel strip (every Cubase strip has one - it is easily overlooked). Although you have to CTRl or ALT click to adjust it, I usually double click the value box and type in -3 to sort things out.

Damn it, I don’t mean that my individual tracks clip. But the SUM of them do. When you have all the singular trakcs like, say, at -6dB and you have 30 of them, then the sum of them will clip. I would like to be able to adjust all the tracks same time, regardless of wether they have automation or not.

Finally an understanding answer. I have exactly the same problem. I have some 30 tracks with all of them not clipping single, but as they are summed together they will clip. I would like to have some good advises to adjust the overall volume of all the tracks whether they have volume automation or not. It should be a lot of easier than using some goodamn logical editor. Adjusting non-automated tracks is easy so why not including all the automated tracks too. Who can and will use logical editor for that? That is the single most demanded feature to be able to adjust all the volume of all the tracks. I can’t believe anyone else don’t see this.

I still don’t see why the master fader doesn’t work for you.

Would you please tell me how to do this?

Hey man the master fader comes AFTER the individual tracks. It of course applies to overall volume but it does NOT solve the problem that when your individual tracks sum and clip TOGETHER then it only lowers the volume AFTER that those individual tracks are summed together. So if you have 10 tracks at -2dB and all playing simultaneously they WILL clip. And the master fader does NOT solve that since it comes AFTER those tracks summed together.

would be a good suggestion or you could always send the tracks you want to a bus and automate the bus volume.

In regards to the MIDI automation, like I said MIDI is made of 127 steps which is why its done in steps. However, if the draw a curve, line or whatever, you can select all the steps and adjust the lenth and depth.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/new_features/whats_new.html

Scroll down to the scaling tool section. This could also be a solution to your other issue as it also works with other automation.

Here’s a video I ifound on it, it only shows velocity but its the same principle with everything.

But I don’t want dots. I want RAMPS.

But I meant an EMPTY automation lane. Like you don’t have any automation on, say, volume. And I want to select and empty space that of course has no dots of automation. And I want to lower or loud up the single area of the track. Then how can you do that?

Oh please I don’t even wanna answer that. Don’t you understand that master fader comes AFTER the individual tracks summed together???

Then don’t use the CC lanes as they are limited to steps.

Thank you for your answer. I’m sorry if I gave an impression that I thought you are stupid. I have a severe ADHD and I tend to have bad nerves. I’m glad you helped man. \m/

Cool, no worries…

It doesn’t matter, the summing happens as 32 bit floating point, and although the meter on the master channel will be showing clipping, this will only occur when that signal is truncated to 16 or 24 bit integer, which happens after the master output. Therefore, the only point at which that clipping would become a real problem is after the master fader (strictly speaking, after insert 8 on the master channel) when the audio leaves Cubase, either for your audio interface or rendered to a non-floating point file.

Hence, lowering the master fader is absolutely fine, or you could put a brick-wall limiter in insert 8 on the master channel which will also prevent clipping (at the possible expense of your sound).

That is true? Oh my God… Does Cubase always use 32 floating point even if the recorded audio is not?

Yup :smiley:

There are a couple of things to be aware of (1) if, like most people, you’re recording your audio to 16bit or 24bit then you can of course clip those files; (2) I have heard of, but not encountered, plug-ins that did actually clip the audio but that was a few years back and I’ve not heard of such a failure in recent times.

But essentially the signal path in Cubase is fully floating point until the point at which it leaves Cubase.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

You’re seeing a problem where there is none - and obviously an ‘individual track master’ will never make it as a new ‘feature’. Clipping is not possible inside the 32-bit float realm of Cubase’s internal processing. Yes, signals may go over 0 dB but that has no impact whatsoever. As long as you lower the master fader to get the final mix below 0 dB.

Thank you, you saved my life.

Okey, I seem to have misunderstood the issue. Or actually I have been living in the past. I didn’t have any idea that Cubase is actually so sophisticated. I have earlier been using master fader but I corrected the projects so that the master fader can be at 0dB because I thought that individual tracks’ summing will clip. Damn, I’m still not sure about this but I gotta believe you.

But can you help me with the issue of editing a non-edited automation track that I would like to have a volume chnage in. Meaning I wanna select an area for which I want to put for volume on, and that area has no automation points earlier. How can I do that?