In a two Piano piece - strange behavior in Piano 2

I imitate Ped. behavior by using ties in both pianos but piano 2 won’t obey ties, Piano1 will.
I tried to record Ped. into Piano 2 but it will not act to the Ped. command (or to ties), Any ideas? Thanks.

Please share at the very least a screenshot with voice colours shown, or ideally the project itself.

1 Like

Sorry can you please remind me how to send as a smaller file? Thanks.

For your question, you can start by setting the Playback Template to silence .

If the file is still too large to post, make a copy of your original file and cut it down by eliminating measures until only a shorter passage which demonstrates the difficult situation remains.

1 Like

( is 1.78mb - ok? )

IIRC The max size to post on the forum is 4 MB, but smaller files are certainly welcome so long as they illustrate the question at hand.

1 Like

ok. I didn’t cut measures as you suggested but it appears to be in the norm so I’ll send it - thank you.

rites of nature and man 210324 - for review.dorico (1.8 MB)
Thank you for your willingness. its in silence mode ( thanks Derrek ) you should be noticing the problem right from the start in piano 2.
Many thanks.

Turning on voice colours indicates a lot of voices active here – you can tie between notes in different voices, but you have to select both the start and end notes explicitly, you can’t just rely on selecting the first note and pressing T.

Why do you have an extra voice in the first bar? If it’s to preserve a specific note duration when the notes are tied, you can instead use Force Duration and keep the notes in the same voice.

1 Like

Thankyou - checking / p.s. the same technique was used in piano 1 and no problems there… actually - no… thanks for pointing that one out. will check ~ many thanks.

Ram,

I just applied the NotePerformer Playback Template to your file and played each piano part separately (starting with notes that did not include Ped. markings, and the ties sustained for me as expected.

What sound set are you using with your version at home?

1 Like

I have the Halion sonic 7 - Yamaha S90ES piano on both tracks.
b.t.w I have checked if that was a polyphony issue like voices limitation and in Halion it gives me 512 vc… but I’ll check what Lillie have said and see if it changes things - it seems that for some reason there is a difference in voicing with pno 2 compare to pno 1… strange…

I tried again applying the HALion Playback Template (which gives me the S90ES Piano), and I still hear the tied notes sustained when I play the second piano part alone (starting measure 1 in system 2).

It’s a puzzle.
Have you applied the HSO PLayback Template?
Your being on Dorico 4.3 should not be a problem.

1 Like

Strange - I thought I’ll have to redo all the measures but after I have re- worked the 1st measure everything got well.
Always appreciative to your input.

Thanks Derrek - I am using the HSSE+HSO pro template.
I have made changes as Lillie suggested to pno2 - altering the 1st bar was enough for the whole thing to work properly… I don’t know. I use rhythmic figurations to maintain certain order… but I’ll check with what Lillie have said and will sort out in case of a problem - now all seems to be working fine even without the Ped. thanks very much to both you Derrek and Lillie for your time.

Don’t forget also that you can specify beam groupings in the time signature, if you want all staves in that bar/section to follow a particular pattern – e.g. [4+1+]/8 for bar 2, to show a 9/8 time signature that’s grouped into 4+1+4 quavers.

1 Like

Thanks dear Lillie - I am taking to liberty to write to you again because I believe you still have that project yet I am sending it again because I have made few changes and there are some problems regardless…
So - In bar # 34 I was trying to tie g to g ( piano 2) and the bar explodes all over the entire staff for nothing its only a 2/8 bar. it’ll be nice if I could tie it.
Also - in bar # 33 for some reason the music get chocked on the 7th bit b.t.w. I moved that 7th bit from the next bar (34) that was a 3/8 bar and now is a 2/8 bar so what? but even with the Ped. it doesn’t ring…
Another question relates to ties.
Is there a way so that the tie arch will not cross over note heads or meters? like maybe to elaborate a space in the tie arch whenever this happens or do I actually have to sort out and tweak every tie instance like this manually.
I am adding the project again.
Thanks for your help so far.
no rush - thanks.
rites of nature and man 210324 - for review.dorico (1.8 MB)

All that’s happening here is: adding the tie prompts Dorico to recalculate spacing, because by default the two notes stop being beamed together once they’re tied. This pushes the system into 100.1% fullness horizontally, so Dorico says “ah, this system is too full: better push the last bar onto a new system”.

You can prevent this happening by either:

Do you mean the playback is affected, with the pedal line effect stopping too soon?

Check in Playback Options > Pedal Lines, it sounds like you might want to reduce the amount of time before the end of a release that the pedal line stops?

You can see the effects of changing this option in the Key Editor > MIDI CC 64 editor

Time signatures, yes – Erasing the background of time signatures

Noteheads, not that I’m aware of. Perhaps search the forum for previous discussions, or start a new thread on this topic specifically to invite suggestions from other forum members? I suspect this part of your question might get lost in this thread.

2 Likes

Thanks Lillie :slight_smile:

Bar 34 is now bar 25 closing page # 2 and is ok now… I have downloaded the attached project again and tried to resolve the problem but with no much success, I am not sure what do you mean by your 1st grouping solution. I mean Dorico allows me to add in a triple and an 1/8 but if I try to T them BOOM. I’ll read about the locked system issue - it seems to be the solution to all kinds of embarrassing situations… but it is good to look back at things and I’ll bookmark this. I know that there is a strong resistance against frame and sys breaks so I avoid them.
I’ll check your comment re: Ped. lines.
I am aware to the remove background function - very nice. wish it would be available for note heads just as well - and why not? as it is also available for hairpins.
Thanks very much for coming back and taking the time to comment.
cheers and best regards.
Rami :slight_smile:

Better those than page overrides.
Of course one can also adjust note spacing defaults on the fly to minimize frame and system breaks.

2 Likes