In need of help with Syncing MR816CS ADAT with RME Raydat !

Thejazzy:
OK, first check that either the RME or the MR is the master clock, personally, I set the MR to internal and the RME to adat.
In the MR mixer, route all the analog ins to adat outs. To do this, select an adat out on the right and then bring up two analog ins (volume) in the mixer (make sure there are no other channels up) and pan hard left and right (also, bring up the output) . I.E, adat 1&2 out has analog 1&2 in, adat 3&4 has analog 3&4 etc.
Now, select an analog out on the right (sat analog 1&2) and bring up adat in 1&2 ONLY in the MR mixer Also, bring up the output, Make sure all are set to 0.db. Do this for the other 3 pairs.

One very cool feature of the RME mixer is the monitoring section. On the right, choose adat 1&2 as the “mian”, adat 3&4 for the first “monitor phones” and so on. This has 2 very important functions. 1, it lets you cahnge your mixes by just selecting the apprpropriate monitor tab, but my favourite is, it also sends that mix to your main outs so can instantly here one of your cue mixes through your speakers, brilliant.
Not only that, this can be switched via a simple midi ciontroller (I use a Behringer nano).

So now, you should have your 8 analog ins coming in on the first 8 channels ot the RME mixer and you should have 4 completely independent stereo mixes (one main and three phones).
In Cubase, use the “Control Room” mixer to route separate mixes, one for the mains, three for 3 seaparate cue/headphone mixes. So, in the Cubase I/O setup, go to Control Room and enable adat 1&2 as your main out (Contol Room) , 3&4 as your 1st “studio send” and so on. I don’t have any output s in the I/O section enabled, only Contol Room.
If you don’t want to set up a cuemix from every channel in Cubase, you can just use the Studio sends on the main strereo out.

Now, of course, you enable these DAW outs in your RME mixer. This is the second row of faders. Make sure you have the first 2 ONLY for the “main” mix, the 2nd pair ONLY for the first cue mix etc.

THE MR is a very cool interface but has some serious shortcomings (IMO). The main one being it’s integration with Cubase. Make sure (and it seems you’ve done this) you don’t install the “Extensions”.
Also, there appears to be no way of disabling the master encoder on the front whaich affects ALL outputs. This is really bad and you have to be so carefull if you’re using the MR as an adat slave. BTW, Im thinking this could be why you aren’t hearing anything via your master outs. I use the front MR encoders for adjusting phones ONLY!

Advanced: If you want to use the MR reverb you can, but it’s complicated. Basically, you have to waste one of your analog output pairs (say 7&8). Use that mix as your reverb send (disable all adat ins) and enable the return on whichever output you need (probably the the cue/headphone mix(s)). Now, bring the fader AND reverb send (it’s post fade only unfortunately, otherwise tou wouldn’t have to waste a mix) for each channel you want reverb on.