In which direction does the Phase get 180° turned?

Does anybody know this? I ask this question, because when i move an audio-event in the thousand-beat/ tick-area, in which way influence the Phase Invertion-button in the MixConsole this.

I´ve already quantised an audio-event tight to a beat, zoom down in the deepest view, but see no changes/ nothing changed.

Does anybody explain me this.

Sorry, for this Nerd Question.
Thanks for any response

It seems it would have to lag the true phase since leading the true phase would be like predicting the future.

Phase inversion of 180 degrees is simply reversing the polarity, i.e. positive becomes negative and vice versa in the waveform. This is not the same as moving the audio across the time-line. Although if you have a pure sine wave or a perfect square wave (and perhaps some other waves??) moving the waveform will achieve the same thing.

If you click the phase invert button on the mixer you won’t see any change in the audio events phase because that doesn’t change the recorded audio just how it is adjusted by mixer. If you want to change the phase of the audio event you could try Process->PhaseReverse (select the event to process) and then you’d see it. You could also RIP to see the phase inversion as applied by the mixer.

Mike.

Mike- Excellent clear explanation for people starting out.

Thanks Mike for detailed explanation

I think this too, but anyhow i mean i´ve understand, that when two equal waveforms or frequenzies collide in 180° in phase on the same local point, they going to cancel each other out. but i get even the information, that they even could come from the same source, even though it makes no sense at first. it is not required, that these two frequencies flow in contra to each other, they even can go parallel to each other and than interfere together, so that none of these two ones stands last.

This is why I´ve asked this question.

If you had two sine waves of the same frequency and you moved one by an amount equal to half of one wavelength, you would have the same effect as flipping the phase switch, but only at that frequency. The term “phase switch” is in fact not ideal, as it refers to the electrical polarity of the wires from (typically) a microphone; in Cubase, a better name for it would be “polarity switch” as Mike pointed out, or perhaps “polarity inverter”.

The important difference is that changing polarity will only do just that, but changing phase by moving an event will cancel some frequencies more than others, and you can hear this by altering the amount (e.g. delay) in realtime. It can be useful to compensate for recordings from microphones that are at varying distances from the sound source, and in small amounts when we are talking about offsets between tracks in a DAW, it pretty much doesn’t matter which direction – whatever sounds best.

Yes, thanks to all, I´ve understand it now, what the Phase-Invertion-button makes. Thanks to all, who´ve helped me.