Incoming Machine control via 9-pin

Hello,

I’m attempting to use Nuendo as a Machine Control slave via 9-pin from a media management software system and it appears the only way to do that is via a TImeBase or a SyncStation. I’ve been through the manual (paper version!) and MMC seems to be the only other option.

The TimeBase has no 64-bit drivers so even though we own one we can’t use it. The SyncStation seems nice and expensive, is that my only option with 9-pin and Nuendo? ProTools has the MachineControl option which, while overpriced, supposedly allows PTHD to be used as a 9-pin slave with a Keyspan adaptor (haven’t tried it).

For those SyncStation or MMC users using Nuendo as a slave - how do you put Nuendo in Sync mode chasing TC? The normal 9-pin commands that an edit system issues don’t include that command as far as I know, so even using the SyncStation I don’t see how I do that. I’ve considered doing something like adding a 9-pin adaptor to our systems and using PlogueBidule to do the translation to MMC, but there doesn’t seem to be a command for “put into Sync (chase) then Record”. I don’t know if a “Sync” (chase) command even exists in MMC that Nuendo can respond to.

I’ve also considered GPI, as I already have built GPI>usb adaptors that can be used in Nuendo, but I don’t think the media management software has any GPI capability.

They could, in theory, issue their commands via network but those commands would have to be in midi-over-network format and they don’t use midi.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Hugh

Cheaper than a Syncstation:

http://www.jlcooper.com/_php/product.php?prod=ninemmc

You could also go 9 pin in to a Bonsai video deck and then out to MMC if you can find one used for cheap. John.

Hello John,

I was looking at the JLCooper box as well. The list of commands in the manual don’t seem to include the ability to chase incoming code before dropping into record. I may have to experiment with one to see.

Have you used the JLCooper?

Hugh

No, haven’t used one, just happened to have that page bookmarked. John.

Hello,

I can’t seem to figure out how to engage Record in Nuendo remotely while first engaging Sync (chasing LTC). Any 9-pin controllers or MMC controllers don’t seem to be able to engage Sync first.

The only option I can come up with opening the project and manually engaging Sync, but that will be lost with the first transport command issued from the remote.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Hugh

Hugh, just trying to come up with something helpful here, forgive me if you’ve already tried this: what about Paul Neyrinck’s Vcontrol Pro or Steinberg’s own Cubase IC app (both for iOS). Either one can drop Nuendo into record remotely although I don’t know if you can do it once you’re chasing timecode, it’s been years since I had to sync Nuendo to a deck. Vcontrol Pro gives a lot of bang for the $50 if you have an iPad; Cubase IC is free but works great for transport control on iPhone or iPad and both work over wireless. John.

Hello John,

Thanks for your help. We’re using VControl Pro now and it’s a pretty cool app as long as you have it on it’s own WAP. Assuming I can get 9-pin from a media management system to talk to Nuendo which I probably can for basic transport functions, I’m trying to figure out how to send the Sync command before the Record command (Online Record in PT, TC Chase in other software) to Nuendo from a system that doesn’t know that command.

Even with the SyncStation there doesn’t seem to be a method to force Sync mode whenever Record is entered. I’m hoping someone with 9-pin experience like Fredo will weigh in, but I recognize the number of folks using Nuendo as a slave (instead of a master to a vtr) is probably slim to none.

Hugh