Increasing chord size

My eyes aren’t great to begin with, but in a medium light space a few days ago, with my part at the 6.5mm setting, I struggled to read some of the chords due to size. I’d love to bump them up a bit.

Is there a best-practice for making chords bigger (other than just making everything bigger)?

If you have Dorico Pro, you can change the relevant font sizes.

Is it possible to change the size of accidentals in superscript? So like if I had D7(#9) with the # in superscript? I’m noticing they always come out overly big.

If so, will it affect the superscript accidentals without shrinking the flat in say Bb7?

I posted this already btw…but no-one was able to help at the time.

Can you share a project file that demonstrates the large accidentals in superscript chord symbol components issue? That way someone can look into the settings to see what might be causing that.

This file has a D7(#11) with a big # in superscript.

Take the ‘A’ Train - Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn.dorico (1.2 MB)

I think it might just be a bug with Petaluma. Maybe it doesn’t have the correct glyph for csymAccidentalSharpSmall for your #11 chords, or in any case Dorico isn’t finding it. It does have csymAccidentalSharp though. Dorico uses these two glyphs for chord symbol alterations. The small variant is for scale factors equal to or under 75% and the larger for 76% and over. If you change your scale factor to 76% it should fix it.

That did it! It must be a missing glyph like you say.

Thanks Fred!

1 Like

@Lillie_Harris Fred’s solution here fixed the issue for my needs.

He suspects it’s because small-scale glyphs for flat or sharp are missing in Petaluma. He believes that the scaling 75% and under attempts to switch to a small glyph. But, as Fred’s theory goes, the lack of a small glyph, and since the default scaling is 65%, makes Dorico default to a bigger one which breaks the scaling.

I don’t know if he’s right, but the 76% did show up looking nice and fix my issue for now.

Does this work as a bug report? I’m hoping it’s helpful if indeed there’s a glyph or two missing. Above my pay grade of course…but every lead helps right?

Just to close the loop on this issue: I’ve now had the time to investigate it, and it’ll be fixed in the next Dorico 4 update, when it comes.

3 Likes