Increasing the number of available ornaments

I would like to put some of Purcell’s keyboard music into Dorico; but the ornaments and graces required are not available. As this may be considered a very niche application by most users, I would be quite happy if I could place small tiffs or jpegs above the notes to represent these ornaments. This was the solution I adopted in Sibelius and it worked quite adequately. Of course, such ornaments do not play back, but that is of no consequence to me personally, as I am only interested in making a pdf file that can be put on the iPad with For Score and played at the harpsichord.

Othe users may find additional applications for imported graphics that can be placed in a music frame.

Is such a feature on the horizon, please?

David

Custom Playing Techniques?

I cant see how that would help. I need additional glyphs; they dont need to play back.

e.g. shake and lshake for starters. These would need to be placed above the stave and scaled appropriately.

David

You can make a Playing Technique out of any image, like this:

Use the “Choose” button in the Graphic section of the Edit Playing Technique dialog to browse the files on your hard drive and select an image. I went through the process of bringing that image in before recording the video, as I don’t particularly want you to see the contents of my cluttered desktop :wink:

Thanks, Leo!
I will try again, but I found the manual (p. 1156) very unclear.
So, you are suggesting that in the Custom Playing Technique window above I can edit my logo to make it into a single clef, etc.? Or do I have to import the gif files I placed above?
David

You certainly can’t edit images within the Playing Technique Editor, but you can bring in individual images (ideally SVGs but the obvious image formats should work), scale them individually, and even create composites of multiple images as a single playing technique.

If those Purcell ornaments happen to exist in a font that you’ve installed, whether SMuFL or not, I’m pretty sure you can access those from the glyphs section (which has been updated, I think in 3.5, to allow better access via Unicode).

Thanks, Leo!
I shall have a go at this.
Writing SVGs is as easy as making the Postscript files that I used for my logo!
Unfortunately, they dont post here…
David

Yes, I’d also suggest favouring SVG vector graphics over bitmap JPEG or TIFFs.