Independent clefs in score and part

It would be lovely to have independent clefs in score and parts. Perhaps you could insert a clef and tick something in the property panel to show only in score or in part. It would be tremendously useful. I’m not aware of any workarounds to this, either. I would love to hear about them if there (while this gets implemented in Dorico sometime in the future).

2 Likes

The way we approach this in Dorico is to specify whether a clef is visible in a given transposition, on the assumption that typically a clef should apply or not based on the staff position of the notes in that layout, which is governed by the layout’s transposition. I’m curious to know a bit more about your requirement: can you say why you need to hide clefs in one or other layout in a way that’s not satisfied by the current functionality?

1 Like

Rodrigo previously post this thread, which offers context: Different clefs and their placement in score and parts

1 Like

Hi, Daniel. Yes, Leo is right about that post providing some context and one of the reasons for my request. There is also the matter of spacing. I’ll quickly share these couple of screenshots from my copy of Elaine Gould because she’s very eloquent and succinct:

As always, thank you for your hard work. I deeply appreciate it.

1 Like

Just to elaborate on Rodrigo’s request, in addition to clefs, I’d really like to see ottava lines be allowed to be independent as well. For an instrument like Piano, ottava lines are common as the fingering doesn’t need to be changed by the octave displacement. For woodwind and brass players, the different octave requires entirely different fingerings, so ottavas are only very rarely used and only for extreme ranges. Flutes and Trumpets are perfectly comfortable reading up to a written C7 and certainly prefer ledger lines to ottava lines in this range. Of course, extended passages of many ledger lines can create a lot of vertical spacing issues in a score, so it would be great to have the option to allow clefs and ottava lines to be independent.

1 Like