Independent music frames

I have to admit that I’ve been avoiding working on this aspect for quite some time, but – now that I have to again – I’m almost as clued out as I was months ago. :confused:

The following are some explanatory notes for my students. As you can see, they consist of very brief musical illustrations followed by lots of text.

I interpreted the information in this Dorico video – How to Create a Worksheet | Page Layout in Dorico - YouTube – to mean that the way to have the music for each illustration show up in its music frame independently (ie, without being attached to the content of any other music frame), one should create that illustration as its own “flow”. Only then can that flow be assigned to a newly-created, specific layout frame.

Is this correct? Is it the only way of doing this?

If so, then perhaps I’ve misunderstood how Dorico works, from the beginning – for it implies that one should compose/create any music that is not to be part of the same music frame as independent flows first, so that one can then assign them to specifically created music / layout frames.

BTW: the video I mentioned (above) is incredibly rich – so full of information that it could easily be made the basis of an actual course, rather than a super-high-speed tour. I’m sure I’m not the only user who, at some time or another, has had to pause it every few seconds, to rewind and replay, just to snatch a better grasp of each detail. Do any “slowed-down” versions of these videos exist?

Thanks!

I don’t think the order of events is quite that prescriptive. You can add a new flow at any point in the process, and in the context of a layout frame you can call any flow into that frame, regardless of what number flow it is in the project.

You can also setup multiple music frame chains within the same layout, though that’s probably not relevant here unless you have an example that needs to start on one page and finish on another page.

In the case of short snippets, it’s probably easiest to put each snippet in its own flow.

1 Like

Thank-you, Leo!

You can also just use hidden Codas to hide cautionary key and time sigs, and move frames around as needed without always starting a new flow. If I have music that I want to use a flow header for, or a chunk I’ll want to export as audio then I’ll certainly use a new flow, but I often find it faster to just move things around. Just saying you don’t necessarily have to have each illustration in a new flow if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Thanks, Fred! I’ll look into this too!